free website stats program Salt riding | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Salt riding

I see it every year - soon as the weather breaks people out there riding on the salt covered roads . I would never risk it . If you ride on salty roads up north here I don't believe you could wash all the salt residue from every crevice . I would suggest if you value your bike & plan on keeping it for a long time don't ride on salt covered roads .

+1. I work for I.D.O.T. and know first hand what the salt has done to my pick up truck over the years driving it in and out of our yard where I don't think the salt ever gets washed away completely by the rain. I'll just keep my truck until it eats through the frame. If you do ride and then wash your bike remember the water actually activates the salt, I don't know if you could ever really wash it all off. I know exactly how you feel I am chomping at the bit to get out and ride.
Good luck and ride safe.

Yeah I think driving in wet salt is probably the worst,you get that mist from the tires going and it really permeates everything.

Thanks Trek - hard not to get out there on the 1st nice days with the roads still covered with salt but I value my investment . Good luck to you & be safe !!

It eats at all the exposed bolts, cylinder fins, polished wheels and sprocket. I ride to work and anywhere and everywhere I can all year long because I would rather ride than drive for a lot of reasons. I don't ride on snow or ice but I do ride when it is cold. The bike is about 11 years old and 118k miles now. Doing a rebuild for a variety of reasons. Using like new dealer takeoff cylinders and heads. Also replacing all the bolts as they won't clean up. Will I ride next winter, God willing I will. Ride Safe my fellow riders.

Back