free website stats program Safety Your Thoughts | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Safety Your Thoughts

As quite a few others have said I always assume everyone is out to get you.

I live in South Florida, probably one of the worst places to ride, especially in the winter when tourists are here and the roads are crowded.

I have loud pipes on my bike so I think that is an advantage.

I always leave plenty of room in front of me and begin slowing when I see the traffic lights change to give cars behind me more time to react and see my brake lights.

I never ride side by side with other bikes, don't care if I know them or not, stuff happens and it happens fast.

I always try to ride staggered to cars, I pay strict attention to their blind spots, especially on their right side.

When riding on multi-lane divided highways I try to ride in the center lane when possible, a lot of people think I am crazy because there are cars on both sides of me, but if you place yourself properly you have a way out on both sides. Also when coming up to intersections if you are in the center it gives cars on the side streets and in the oncoming left turn lane a better sight line to you.

I always wear a helmet, we don't have a helmet law in Florida but my thought is it can't hurt. I know and see a lot of people without them and that is their choice, for me its not a question, I hope I never need it, if I do it may not help, but if I don't have it on I know it won't help. Just my opionion.

These are just a few thing I do to increase my chances, hope everyone out there has a good and safe ride.

I am with Hoople, worrying about getting hammered from the rear when I am stopped. I pay attention to the mirrors and never sit in neutral. I also try and pull up to the left or the right of the vehicle in front of me, when I can, so that if it happens I won't be pinned between to vehicles, I will be knocked forward. Somehow I tell myself that is better.

Other than making sure the machine is safe, personal protection and practicing skills, I take a moment before every ride. I shut my eyes and ask myself, "Am I in the right mental state to do this?" I make sure that I am focused only on riding. Not errands, not running late, not traffic. Worrying, stressing or thinking about other things is not a smart way to begin a ride.

I think some people may have touched on this with the "gut check" comments. Some days, something just doesn't feel right and I take off the helmet.....

Ride proactively...I generally go at or slightly faster then the flow of traffic, all the while thinking of tactics, lane position and allowing hazards to separate. The enjoyment of the ride happens on the open road away from traffic. Seems sad that so much of our attention while riding is focused on safety and self preservation, but the mere fact that I'm still riding since the 70's says I must be doing something right. Add to the fact I have been jus' plain "LUCKY" as life experiences should have had me cashed out a long long time ago. The other thought is BE HAPPY and take the time to share your riding JOY with others...!

THAT is the other reason WHY, my kids and grandkids know and enjoy my RIDE sharing...be careful out there, and use protective gear to help your survival skills do their job...you will be fine!

Great thread Don - things I've observed and picked up over the years

- Be aware of your surroundings. I've gotten to where it really bugs me if I can't see the road in front of me for at least a good 8-10sec if possible. So I'll maneuver accordingly to get clear view of the road.
- Never ride in a blind spot.
- Pass an 18-wheeler quickly if you can. I've seen a tire separate on a big rig
- Be aware of pickup trucks, etc in front of you loaded with stuff in the bed, pulling a trailer, boat etc. I was cruising down I-75, low speed lane when I saw the entire lane covered with "something". I cleared the obstacle, got about an 1/8mi past and there's a pickup truck pulled over on the side of the road pulling a hot-tub on a trailer. The hot tub cover blew off. Stuff can fly out of boats, etc.
- If I'm "stuck" in traffic and can't see the roadway in front - I always ride in the appropriate tire path of the vehicle in front of me. Especially trucks with high ground clearance. Possibly save you from hitting an obstacle in the road that the vehicle in front attempts to ride over, when they can't avoid it by swerving around.
- Riding low speed lane and coming up on an access ramp with an 18-wheeler in front, and cagers immediately behind. Move as many lanes over as you can. The cagers are often impatient and will try to bolt around the big-rig first chance they get, possibly encroaching into/onto the lane you just moved over into. If you can't get at least 2 lanes over...watch out.
- I now take pride in my awareness, anticipation and avoidance of a potential accident by a cager. When I was younger, I would have pulled up beside and given the driver the business, say if a cager had pulled out from behind that 18-wheeler and into the lane that I just moved over to. Now I pat myself on the back - say nice job - and don't give the driver another thought.

I assume the people around me, are going to do something that is just plain dangerous or deadly for me. For ex, While traveling down a road, seeing a car at a stop sign , I assume they will pull out in front of me as if I'm not there. When they don't, it's a pleasant 'surprise'. Same with cars coming the opposite way and NOT turning left in front of me. I prefer the speed limit unless pushed...then, I'll bump the limit by 5-10 over...that's it. If still pushed , I'll pull over in a safe spot. I don't and never will understand the mentality of someone tailgating whether it's in a car or on a bike. It's just plain dumb.
I've been riding since 12 years old ( dirt bikes etc)..on the road since 16..I'm 61 now. Never been hit or down. Having said that, I also know that I can be taken out at any time . I drive my motorcycle, defensively but not paranoid. ( I did get to that point in the 80's, so I quit riding until three years ago. ).
I also wear full face helmet, tourmaster jackets with armor, good boots and gloves no matter the temp. So far, it works for me.

Turky Vultures

In 2010 a rider was killed in Michigan in a crash when he hit a vulture. This morning I was out by myself on a rural road when 5 large vultures about 40 yards ahead of me whent up when the pickup in front of me passed them. I believe they are not like most birds in that they have no sense of impending danger, because one of them just turned and flew right in front of me. Fortunately I missed him by about 10 feet, but it was enough for me to bark the tires on the brakes. If you see these birds up ahead of you, you better just slow down untill they are clearly out of range.

Ride Safe!

I'm all for motorcycle training courses. I rode for almost 20 years before I took one and was surprised how much I learned. Never assume your the best rider out there and don't need to learn anything or don't have to improve your skills. Experience riding is valuable if you're willing to use the skills you learned. Always be on the look out for everyone and everything else.

I am glad this is on here. The first thing I do is think of my kids. I allow the thoughts that bikes can hit their sides before you even know its going over. I allways try to keep a saftey zone around me, and Im always thinking to myself what if this was to happen, and then think about what to do. And on back roads I will get my bike up to speed and bring it to abrupt stops to try to keep my self from freezing up or panicking if something was to happen. I keep others at a distance and act like everyone want to run over me. And when the sun starts to fall SLOW DOWN. I have reved the motor "piped people" that were not paying attechion "cell phones" and they have allmost ran off the road. The best thing I could tell someone is know that it can happen so be prepared, and ready at all times!!!

In mid may I was in an advanced motorcycle riding course sponsored through our local HOG chapter, one thing that most experienced riders were doing wrong was too much rear brake in a panic stop, most of your breaking should be done with the front. I started testing myself and friends, after a ride check your brake rotors, if the rear is hot and the front is cold you need to get off that rear brake a bit.

Back