free website stats program saddlebags | Harley Davidson Forums

saddlebags

Took saddlebags off to have them painted and my brother in law says that the left bag on bottom is very thin. The support bar has the paint rubbed off on left hand side where it bends around to attach to the fender strut. The rubber pieces are there, but does anybody have any suggestions on what can be done to keep from rubbing all the way through the fiberglass? We had the pipes all off to replace the y-pipe that had a crack in it. So I know everything is tight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you the orginal owner? If not maybe someone messed with the mounting brackets that hold the bags to the bike. They can be adjusted a little or put spacers behind them to move them out. It could have been in a fender bender and the rails were bent a little. Just throwing that out there.

Does sound like something has gotten bent back there. You may be able to loosen the mounts and move the bag around a little.

Not original owner, but purchased from trusted buddy and don't think ever was in fender bender. had a problem with the strut that attaches to the fender the end broke off that attaches to saddlebag and the chrome bumper cover. replaced that right after purchase. will check and see if it can be adjusted.

As suggested, but you should losen all bolts in connection with the support bars, (also the crash bar) and see how it lines up. Adjust so the bags land straight on the support bars, in the middle of the 'tunnel' in the bottom of the bag.
If something is bent, the support bars and rear crash bars can be bent back...

IMHO, I'd put some new fiberglass on the inside of the bags where they are getting thin just as some added protection. Maybe add some extra rubber supports to the bar and adjust everything so it's sitting firmly on the bar. Would think that'd solve the issue. Of course, YMMV.

IMHO, I'd put some new fiberglass on the inside of the bags where they are getting thin just as some added protection. Maybe add some extra rubber supports to the bar and adjust everything so it's sitting firmly on the bar. Would think that'd solve the issue. Of course, YMMV.

Read my mind...Thicken up the worn area with fiberglass on the inside where it can't be seen and won't affect the outside apperance, or require repaint, then reinstall and find chafing problem, as others suggest.

Back