free website stats program Saddlebags without supports? | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebags without supports?

ChiroRick

I've got a set of cortech soft luggage that I've used over the years on other bikes...and I plan to use it on my Dyna. HD's saddlebag supports for soft luggage will not fit with my detachable sissybar/sideplates. I put the bags on today, and they look like they clear the exhaust and will not contact the suspension...but one of the bags does touch the brake caliper...just a little bit. Doesn't look like it would interfere with anything, but I just want to be sure.

Suggestions? Buying new luggage is not an option. I'm very attached to my cortech luggage. They've been with me on alot of trips, and they still look new.

I've got a set of cortech soft luggage that I've used over the years on other bikes...and I plan to use it on my Dyna. HD's saddlebag supports for soft luggage will not fit with my detachable sissybar/sideplates. I put the bags on today, and they look like they clear the exhaust and will not contact the suspension...but one of the bags does touch the brake caliper...just a little bit. Doesn't look like it would interfere with anything, but I just want to be sure.

Suggestions? Buying new luggage is not an option. I'm very attached to my cortech luggage. They've been with me on alot of trips, and they still look new.

IMO with out supports the bags may wear on the caliper, as the suspension moves

I suggest supports. In the early 90's i had a set of throw overs that strapped under the seat and just hung down. While running a quick 90 mph one day the wind caught my bags and started flopping them around, almost lost it from the wobble.

Be careful, I ruined a set on leather throw-over saddlebags without supports on a sportster. The suspension allowed the bags to come into contact with parts of the bike that I never would have thought it would touch. If you really like your bags, you may want to find a different way to mount them. Good luck!

Be careful, I ruined a set on leather throw-over saddlebags without supports on a sportster. The suspension allowed the bags to come into contact with parts of the bike that I never would have thought it would touch. If you really like your bags, you may want to find a different way to mount them. Good luck!

I hear ya. Looking at the bags on the bike is one thing, but then riding the bike and not taking suspension travel into account is another story. Should have thought of that first. I've got a large sissy bar bag that can mount to the back of the sissy bar, as well as a tailbag and a duffle bag that can mount on the seat with bungee cords holding it to the luggage rack. I'm sure that would be enough storage space. I just really like the convenience of saddlebags. If it weren't for my detachable hardware, I could easily get the chrome saddlebag supports from HD and be done with it.

I hear ya. Looking at the bags on the bike is one thing, but then riding the bike and not taking suspension travel into account is another story. Should have thought of that first. I've got a large sissy bar bag that can mount to the back of the sissy bar, as well as a tailbag and a duffle bag that can mount on the seat with bungee cords holding it to the luggage rack. I'm sure that would be enough storage space. I just really like the convenience of saddlebags. If it weren't for my detachable hardware, I could easily get the chrome saddlebag supports from HD and be done with it.

I, like you, had detachable hardware on the sporty and I never found a workable solution. I ended up getting a cheap sissy bar bag large enough to hold a weekends worth of cloths and called it success. Of course this was after I destroyed a nice pair of leather bags! :newsmile08: Good luck and if you do find a work around, please share it with us!

I, like you, had detachable hardware on the sporty and I never found a workable solution. I ended up getting a cheap sissy bar bag large enough to hold a weekends worth of cloths and called it success. Of course this was after I destroyed a nice pair of leather bags! :newsmile08: Good luck and if you do find a work around, please share it with us!

Thanks. I'm pretty sure my sissy bar bag will hold a weekend worth of clothes, and I can probably get another 2 or 3 days of clothing into my duffel, and then my tailbag will hold my tools and any other gadgets and accessories I may need out on the road. If I have room for at least 4 days worth of clothing, I'll be set. If I get to take my road trip this fall, I'll probably stop for a day after 4 days of riding anyway, relax, do laundry, some exploring on the bike, and back out on the road the next day. I'll see how it goes. For now, I won't be on the road for more than a few days.

Back