free website stats program SaddleBags With Reinforced Plastic Inserts | Harley Davidson Forums

SaddleBags With Reinforced Plastic Inserts

jlocohead

Hello Fellow Bikers,

Not sure if this questions has been asked before but I heard different things.
I have a 2009 Super Glide Custom and I ordered a set of Willie & Max® Deluxe Collection Slant Saddlebags 12 Tall X 14 Long that are synthetic leather reinforced with plastic inserts. I have not relocated the turn signals and they fit pretty snug and are about 2 inch away from the exhaust. The pipes that I have now are Cycle Shack 3” slip on with a stage 1 Upgrade.

I heard that if you have plastic saddlebags the exhaust can melt the bags; with the bags being synthetic leather with plastic inserts will they be ok. I have not rode the bike with them yet and would rather return the bags and get full leather if the bags will melt or have problems. I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks Joe

Can't guarantee that your bags will be ok but I put a pair of synthetic bags on my Low Rider and never had a problem. Might want to take a look after a long ride and carefully feel the underside of the bag to see how hot it is. Be careful not to touch the mufflers. JMHO.
JP

I think it was Steve07 who fabricated a reinforcement patch/heat shield out of exhaust pipe metallized insulation sheet or silver burn resistant ironing board cover material using self adhesive/contact cement or stitched it on the side of the bag where it won't be seen, nearest the exhaust pipe...?

I appreciate the feedback. I will give them a try on short runs then move it up to long runs and see how they do. Thanks again.

Joe

I think it was Steve07 who fabricated a reinforcement patch/heat shield out of exhaust pipe metallized insulation sheet or silver burn resistant ironing board cover material using self adhesive/contact cement or stitched it on the side of the bag where it won't be seen, nearest the exhaust pipe...?

Close. It was ironing board cover material on the leg of frog toggs rain gear,but it would work on the base of the bag although I don't think you will have a problem with a 2'' air gap between the pipe and the bag.Standing air dissipatates at approx. ten degrees per 1/4'',this increases dramatically with air flow when you start moving. Just don't use it as a beer cooler!:D

Back