free website stats program saddlebag locks | Harley Davidson Forums

saddlebag locks

hello everyone, weather's breaking, time to chase that front wheel:D i have a question about roadking hardbag locks, mine wont lock anymore, talked to dealer and he sold me a set cams for the locks (6.00) havent had a chance to install, any suggestions?.....................Dave

As moisture gets into the lock assembly, (washing and rain) I use a tiny bit of oil in the locks. It seems to keep them free.

Mine got sticky also. I pulled the latch into it's most flat position and gave it a spray of WD40 and worked the key in and out a few times. Slick as new now. I also gave a shot to the tour pack and ign. switch.

Mine did the same thing while on a trip. Stopped at a local Harley shop and had the service department take a look at it. Told me I needed to replace the lock and that oiling it wouldn't fix it. Told them I'd take care of it when I got back home. Stopped at Wally World, picked up some WD 40...oiled the lock...worked fine :)

When I got home, I took the lock apart and put some graphite on it. It's been fine ever since. Just oil periodically.

Mine did the same thing while on a trip. Stopped at a local Harley shop and had the service department take a look at it. Told me I needed to replace the lock and that oiling it wouldn't fix it. Told them I'd take care of it when I got back home. Stopped at Wally World, picked up some WD 40...oiled the lock...worked fine :)

When I got home, I took the lock apart and put some graphite on it. It's been fine ever since. Just oil periodically.

Wait a minute.....are you saying the service department person was WRONG??? :p

Part of every service should be lubing all latches & locks, I prefer a silicone lube that drys non stick,

Yeah, would have to agree with Chopper, the silicone lube sounds like the best way to go. I'm still trying to learn how to open and close them.

Locksmiths reccommend Tri-Flo which is a graphite and teflon based lube that dries non sticky so it doesn't hold contaminants

Unfortunately barrel type locks attract dirt and debris, so a lubricant that attracts little contaminants as Tboehle said is good. I prefer 3 in 1 oil because it is very light machine oil with a carrier that evaporates over time leaving no residue.

An occasional spritz of WD-40 will do same if you think the need of a cleaner/solvent that displaces water (hence the name Water Displacment formula 40), is needed as the solvent carrier flushes out dirt/contaminates in the liquid drippings, which also evaporates leaving no residue buildup as well.

come to find out, cam and locking nut was missing, bought new cams while at dealer,never thinking about locking nuts, so another trip to dealer, leave it to Harley to have a 9/32nd, 28 fine thread stud for the cams. I work in maintenance dept, we have all sizes of nuts, bolts, threads......but not 9/32-28

Back