free website stats program Saddlebag lid protection | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag lid protection

sgdiesel

I run an 08 Ultra. Every time my missus climbs off the bike she scrapes her boot along the saddlebag lid. I don't think I am going to change that too readily, although I am trying, so the best option is to protect the lids. It is clear that I have 2 basic options, namely chrome lid rails or a "bra" solution. I can see pro's and cons for both.

I have concerns about opening the lid with the rail on, as I already find it quite tight flipping the lid up and disengaging the hinge (personally I really don't like the HD design and thing the Goldwing design is better) so I am concerned these rails would get in the way. Aesthetically I prefer this option and I am also convinced they will be more robust and offer longer life

The bra solution doesn't cause me a concern as far as lid operation is concerened, but I have also read on this forum that these covers don't seem to fit too well.

There are a number of manufacturers that offer these products. It strikes me that these items are quite expensive for what they are, but then I guess the HD brand commands a premium. I would be interested to hear views on this.

I like mine. They have been on for 2 years no issues. When you put them on leave them sit in the sun until they get warm and then stretch them on.

I have the rails on my ultra and had them on the ultra before this one I haven't had any problems opening bags on either bike.

Last edited:
The other option you have is to apply Scotchgard Paint Protection Film by 3M. It is a really nice product, that if installed correctly, you can't even tell if it is there. I don't know how well it would work if the surface is already scratched, but I know on a new surface it's great. We used this same film on all of our work trucks in place of a bug shield and over and over, it proves itself. If you want to see how to do it, refer to American Bagger Magazine from Sept. or October of last year. You may also find it on their web site. Hope this helps and let us know which way you end up going. I think there are many of us with the same issue.

Reminds me of a riding buddy of mine and a quote I can't get out of my head.
(in his words, not mine. In case my wife reads this post :D)
"Riding with the old lady is twice the price and half the fun!!"

The other option you have is to apply Scotchgard Paint Protection Film by 3M. It is a really nice product, that if installed correctly, you can't even tell if it is there. I don't know how well it would work if the surface is already scratched, but I know on a new surface it's great. We used this same film on all of our work trucks in place of a bug shield and over and over, it proves itself. If you want to see how to do it, refer to American Bagger Magazine from Sept. or October of last year. You may also find it on their web site. Hope this helps and let us know which way you end up going. I think there are many of us with the same issue.

Reminds me of a riding buddy of mine and a quote I can't get out of my head.
(in his words, not mine. In case my wife reads this post :D)
"Riding with the old lady is twice the price and half the fun!!"

Like the Quote, and I am VERY interested in the Scotchgard proposal. They are not scratched at all but will get that way if I ignore the problem. To be fair, my wife is very slim and fairly athletic, getting on and off in leathers and riding gear can be awkward (and maybe she will see this post as well :)

My bike is black. I had the fairing lowers painted with Line X. This is what they spray truck beds with. This stuff you can not destroy. I have the bras on my lids now but I would also consider using Line X as an option.

I have the rails & I love them :D they dress up the rear bag & provide you some real nice handles for the times that you want to remove the bags & they also look alot better than the leather covers IMO & the leather covers use velcro to secure the covers to the bag so if you take the covers off you will still have the velcro tabs still stuck to the bag . I would have used the leather covers myself untill I learned about the velcro stuck on the paint , because I only wanted to use the covers when I was riding 2-up & wanted to take the covers off when riding solo because I like to see the sparkle of the paint in the sunshine .

I have been considering the rails, but been wondering how they mount?

Can't imaging you would have to drill holes, so can somebody enlighten me?

TIA

Bernhard

I had the rails on my RK for the same reason, my girlfriend was scuffing them getting on and off the bike. They worked great and looked good. Have you considered passenger grab rails? I have them on my UC and they also serve the same purpose.

Back