free website stats program saddlebag leather on RKC | Harley Davidson Forums

saddlebag leather on RKC

because i have no garage, i cover my RKC in a Cycle Shell.
just had two days of torrential downpour. the bike looks great a day later. the Cycle Shell did its work.
but i noticed that the faux leather on the saddlebags now has a slight buckle to it. probably caused by ambient moisture in the air for 2 days.
is there a way to get that faux leather stretched tight again?

cheers.

Put it in the sun for a while. I had the same problem with the covers and brought it to the attention of the dealer. They said the same thing and they went back to tight again.

That isn't faux, it's real leather and mine tighten back up also as they dry. I guess the leather swells and shrinks from moisture changes.

normal when it gets cold here mine do the same kind of bubble up as the inner shell shrinks

wow. see? one simple little post and i learned so much.
first, i assumed it was fake leather on the saddlebags. guess i was wrong about that.
then, bud informs me it's actually the inner shell that shrinks, making the leather buckle. didn't know that.
what a great web site this is!
you guys are great.
thanks a million.

While not trying to sound overly contentious I'd like to "voice" my skepticism about the plastic changing size very much at all over the normal range of ambient temperatures.

Over 24k miles on my '07 RKC the wrinkles coming and going were pretty much purely the result of moisture content. They always ended up tight again before it was all said and done.

After spending the last 10 yrs with a roadking classic. I to agree with all the above info. I kept plenty of conditioner on mine also. Mine almost looked brand new when i sold her. That bike was a beauty, I never as much as replaced a bulb on that thing! I only hope this one is as good. Very well built bike without a bunch of cute but easily broken parts.

Back