free website stats program Saddlebag and Size Advice | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag and Size Advice

propflux01

Can anyone recommend a good bag size and type for an 883 Sportster? The wife and I are taking a trip this summer, and she really needs to have some carrying ability. I know I will need to get a tail light conversion thing to move them back, but I'm unsure what size of bag I should get. I don't want anything gaudy looking or "bigger than the bike" so to speak. Preferably leather. Thanx in advance for any ideas!

Check out LeatherLyke. I don't have them but want to get a set. Not real leather but they have a real good reputation and are easy to remove and put back on, locking, etc.

Fox Creek has their bags on sale right now. Made in the USA, great customer service. Give them a call, they will help you with what you need. If you hate them send them back. They are very good to work with on returns.

Fox Creek Leather

JMO, you'll never have enough room. :s

I'd look at a small back rest with a combo back rest/rack. The wife benefits with having a little more support to lean on and then you can add a tail pack that is easily removed and brought with you and the missus to your accommodations.

JMO, you'll never have enough room. :s
I'd look at a small back rest with a combo back rest/rack. The wife benefits with having a little more support to lean on and then you can add a tail pack that is easily removed and brought with you and the missus to your accommodations.
A set from T-Bags or others is a quick way to go and easily mounted.

What year is the Sporty?

Sometimes you can find a good set on eBay.
I bought two Harley brand sets (both new) on eBay for my 2002 Sporty. Ran with the 1st set for a couple of seasons because I didn't have to move the turn signals.
Never did mount the other set. Still sitting in the box.
Then I bought the Harley hard bags. Had to move the turn signals then.
The hard bags didn't give me much more room but they matched the color of the bike.

One of these days, I'll get around to listing the leather sets on eBay.

Can't help on size or make but make sure you get the brackets for your bags. Also make sure they are secure. It kind of looks funny when a bike is going down the road and the bags are like flapping in the wind not to mention it's dangerous. If they get cought in the rear tire watch out!

Ultradoc brings up a very good point. Basically there are a few mounting options. Go to the Leatherworks or Leatherneck Jims websites and look at the quick release setups they use, or if using the slip on/zip on type the metal hoops or stiff/molded backed bags secure them neat and tight. The Leatherneck Jims bags I used ran around $350 with studs, conchos and braided trim...worth every penny, hey our gals pay that or even more for their Coach or Dooney & Bourke or Prada bags for ONE LOL!!!

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

Back