free website stats program Saddlebag Advise | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddlebag Advise

The detachable bags caught my eye. Depending where you stay its nice to be able click them off quickly.

Right now I have to upack everything. I woken up a couple times at hotels were my bags were opened and stuff missing.

Saddlebag luggage is a very personal thing. They do make leather ones that are very durable, have quick release on/off mounts that have virtually invisible mounting pegs that are secure and nice looking on or off the bike.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/chassis_suspension_and_front_end/5895-motorcycle_luggage.html

I chose Leatherneck Jims but there are a host of others...I chose throwover type but secured with H-D mount "hoops", but like I said the quick release types are convenient and you can put nylon handled inserts in the bags that allow you to empty quick and easy as well on the road.

I finally decided on bags for my 08 crossbones. Could not find any I liked except the older springer heritage bags $1,000.00.
I found Lutz's leathers. Don made them to sizes, and style, I wanted, very good quality, and style. $350.00 for bags and the quick mount system was $140.00. Not bad for a good set.
I also use a sissybar bag from T-Bags when it is a long trip.
:newsmile078:
MOTORCYCLE SADDLEBAGS, LEATHER motorcycle saddle bag, CUSTOM motorcycle saddlebag, accesories, motorcycle JACKETS, chaps, helmets, rain gear, boots

I have saddle bags and a luggage rack. Its nice to have the side packs, but they are fairly narrow and you can't really store a lot of stuff in there. I have a day pack I attach to the luggage rack -- I use that quite a bit more than the side packs.

SportyHawg has a good point...if you solo (which I do most of the time) having the pillion available means additional storage saddle trunk can be put there and secured to the sissy bar. I have a Cordura/Nylon one from my ol' Katana, that has vinyl coated metal hook plates that grip the seat and works for now, but considering using a day pack or matching leather one with studs and conchos would look mighty fine back there. When 2-up, I use the sissy bar for backpack (have an Eclipse Cordura/Nylon one, but again, if you want more luggage space T Bags can work in a pinch.:)

2004SportsterXL1200R9-9-09-1.jpg

I have saddlebags on all my bikes they are of the throwover type and sit on top of the rear fender under the seat they do need support rails to keep them out of the rearwheel area and are tied on to bottom of the supports
i chose the saddlebags for their capacity which is 27 litres each side
i also have a rack and on trips can have the rack and pillion seat filled but for these i use a normal holdall inside a dry bag as i have been in some very heavy rain with bike loaded i have never had my luggage get wet

Brian

I chose the leather H-D bags for my 2000 Fatboy. They look great, match the stock seat and best of all, went on perfectly, all holes lined up and so on. I thought they were pretty pricey until I priced the hard bags, $750 vs $1250 for the hard bags. I suspect others make just as good ones for a little less but leather is expensive and looks "right" on the softtail line IMHO. Sales person said keep in mind that quick detach is nice and works well, but if you can take it off quickly, so can someone else. So I went with permanent attachment. I kinda regret that decision though because I like the looks of the Fatboy stripped down, lean and mean, narrow Corbin seat and no sissy bar. As is, my Boy is a Bagger/Cruiser and that's ok too. Now if only some warmer weather would come around...
Ishmael

Motorcycle Saddlebags By Boss Bags 1-888-853-9975

I love mine! Yes they are not cheap but will worth every penny. When you take them off the only thing that is left are two studs. They are quick release and very sturdy. I didn't put mine on right after taking them off and one came off at 40mph. They took it well just had to replace fiberglass back plate.

Attachments

• HOG_2010_Raleigh_tag.jpg
    HOG_2010_Raleigh_tag.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 12
Back