free website stats program Saddle comfort | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddle comfort

bamacfa

I am new to the forum and my name is John. My wife and I just purchased a 2004 roadking classic with 4000 miles on it. We love it. The bike came with a nice sundowner seat but after a 100 mile ride my wife and my backsides were mighty sore. I was wondering if you all had any tips or ideas on a more comfortable seat that would fit this model. Many thanks in advance!!

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new toy. If you like the way the seat looks you can have gel packs added for comfort. 100 miles on a Road King is not many miles to have a sore butt. You may want to check the suspension and tire for proper pressure.

Have a Mustang seat on my '99 Ultra. I have owned a few of these seats, and while they can get a bit pricey, IMO they are worth every cent....

I have had good experience with the "Genuine Sheepskin Cover" by American Motorcycle Specialties. It has rubber coated metal hooks w/ Velcro backed nylon webbing straps that grip under the seat and lip. The Memory Foam w/ 3/4" Gel pad works great, the sizes are 11"L x 7"W one for the pillion #18000 and 12"W x 12"L for the pilot #18005 on my Sporty Drag Specialties seat respectively. My portion of the seat was comfortable already, I use it for extra comfort and to protect my leather seat. The website is Motorcycle Gel Seat Pads, Covers, Seatcovers & Tie-Downs or call 1-800-710-7237...cost is about $75-$95.

You can just see a bit of it on the pillion portion, sorry for the picture...

SaddleView.jpg

Last edited:
There are a number of good options, some already mentioned here. FWIW I and my sweetie were real happy with the mustang seat we put on our Road King.

Were you riding much before the Roadking purchase?

Someone mentioned this in a thread somewhere and it made sense to me. After you've ridden awhile, your backside tunes in and your muscles adjust.

After owning and riding my scoot for a year, doing many daylong and weekend trips, we were able to do a six day ride no sweat. It was around 2.5 to 3k miles but we'd worked our way up to it.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new toy. If you like the way the seat looks you can have gel packs added for comfort. 100 miles on a Road King is not many miles to have a sore butt. You may want to check the suspension and tire for proper pressure.

Were you riding much before the Roadking purchase?

Someone mentioned this in a thread somewhere and it made sense to me. After you've ridden awhile, your backside tunes in and your muscles adjust.

After owning and riding my scoot for a year, doing many daylong and weekend trips, we were able to do a six day ride no sweat. It was around 2.5 to 3k miles but we'd worked our way up to it.

I agree with these folks - 100 miles on a Road King with a Sundowner seat should be NO problem. Friend across the street from me has your 2004 RK and he let me ride it for a day when I was doing my research on what to move up to after my Sporty. His had the stock seat and I rode all day with no discomfort.

Back