free website stats program Saddle Bags | Harley Davidson Forums

Saddle Bags

Zebradad

I need to find some kind of bag stiffener. I was told there are some plastic inserts that will slide into your bags and give them the shape and keep the inside safe.

Those are available. I've seen them for sure in my J&P Cycles 2011 catalog. They fit inside the bags to give support and correct the sagging. I'm sure you could find them online. Good luck!

I made my own stiffeners from 8th inch plexiglass from Ace Hardware. I drilled holes and mounted them to my old naugahide bags with Stainless button heads on the outside (looks kinda like studs) and aluminum nuts on the inside. (aluminum is much lighter in weight).

I also put some clear silicone on the sheets before mounting. It's a little tricky to drill the naughahide and get all the holes right (a sharp punch is necessary first) but it came out pretty good for about $10 worth of plexiglass and $25 worth of SS Bolts and Alum nuts (it took a lot of bolts). I don't have a really good picture of the finished bags but the second bike from the front on left is the finished project.

1346817-T600450.jpg

I first mount them from the outside while drilling the rest of the holes.

1346818-T600450.jpg

You can't really tell it in the photo but these are old throwover bags, I removed the throw over harness and mounted them to the fender brackets with aluminum angle, and a flat strap inside the bags.

1346820-T600450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Take your time putting them in, they are a Bear to get them past the bottom seam. They will make your bags look like new.

I got mine from leatherlidinserts.com they are in Florida. had them put them in and am very happy the cost was $150.oo installed I think they are about $100.oo if you install. I am very happy with them and get alot of people asking about them.

+1 on GotSaggyBags - just installed them and it really helps. Mine were not too bad but I can tell a difference since I installed the kit.

Back