free website stats program S&S super E question | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S super E question

mychevy99

Hi. I have a S&S super E on my sportster. I was chasing a couple problems, popping on acceleration, erratic idle. I sprayed some carb cleaner on the mixture screw, and it died. Means to me, air leak. So I touch the screw, and I can wiggle it. It's loose in the threads. My question is, would it be more likely that the screw needs replacing, or would the threads in the carb body be toast? I didn't take the time to pull the screw out and look at it yet. I was too hot and aggravated at the moment.

Hi. I have a S&S super E on my sportster. I was chasing a couple problems, popping on acceleration, erratic idle. I sprayed some carb cleaner on the mixture screw, and it died. Means to me, air leak. So I touch the screw, and I can wiggle it. It's loose in the threads. My question is, would it be more likely that the screw needs replacing, or would the threads in the carb body be toast? I didn't take the time to pull the screw out and look at it yet. I was too hot and aggravated at the moment.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-1261.html Here is a good place to start. You can use the search box for more tips in the self help section, or to read more threads on carbs

Although i have no experience with the S&S carbs normally the mixture screw has a spring that applies tension to the screw to stop it from rotating easily and perhaps the spring is missing or has snapped

Brian

Back