S&S Filters and BelRay Dino Oil

Discussion in 'Oil' started by FXDL4ME, Sep 12, 2016.

1. FXDL4ME

FXDL4ME Member

When I bought my 2014 Low Rider, used with only 2100 miles, part of the deal was free oil changes for life. Well, it's time for an oil change, so I called the shop (an independent dealership that deals in strictly HD) and asked what they use. I'm partial to Mobil One V-Twin. He told me that he's never liked synthetics, and they use BelRay mineral oil, and S&S filters. I was kinda shocked, really. Anyway, I have ZERO experience with either one of these products. Anyone use BelRay oil or S&S filters? What are your thoughts on using dino oil in a TC 103? With this deal I can change oil every 2500 miles, but I want something good in my engine for those 2500 miles!

Jack Klarich likes this.
  2. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

I'm partial to Synthetic oil and use Mobil 1 V-twin myself. Bel Ray makes a quality product and have used it before but I have no experience using the S&S filter.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  3. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

Bel Ray is a good product. Although I prefer synthetic oil, I'd have no problem using dino oil or S&S filters @2500 mile intervals.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  4. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Bel Ray is a quality product, I just put some gear saver in my 17 Freewheeler, it is Red like Redline, do not know a thing about S&S filters
    S&S Cycle > Contact
    Contact
    Phone: 608-627-1497
    Toll Free: 866-244-2673
    S&S Cycle, Inc.
    14025 County Hwy. G
    Viola, Wisconsin 54664

or

PO Box 215
    Viola, Wisconsin 54664

Customer Service and Technical Sales Hours:
    8:00 AM – 5:00 PM (CST)
    Phone: 608-627-149

FXDL4ME likes this.
  5. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

You need to find out the micron rating which is very important by the way. The aftermarket filters are not the recommended 5 microns that the Harley factory filters are. So it your ride you decide. I would opt for synthetic type oil of any quality brand............

Jack Klarich likes this.
  6. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

S&S filters have a nut on the end for easy installation and removal.Great for tight places like the Limited.Don't know the micron rating,but I used them in My last 2 bikes.Combined mileage of 65,000 miles.Dino oil has been used for the last 100 years on many high mileage vehicles and ships stock in most Harley's.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  7. 01 rk

01 rk Active Member

I have been using S and S filters for a couple years now with no ill effects and have 107,000+ miles on my 2006 EG, have always used Dino oil.

Jack Klarich likes this.
  8. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member

K&N filters have a built in nut. I've never seen then on S&S.

Jack Klarich, Fisherking and FXDL4ME like this.
  9. Bodeen

Bodeen Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator Contributor

Free oil change and filter every 2500 miles = run the dino, just have it changed regularly.

You could always run it 2500 and send a sample to Blackstone or any reputable analysis co. They will recommend an interval to run it.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Jack Klarich likes this.
  10. FXDL4ME

FXDL4ME Member

^^^ Right....I know S&S filters don't have the nut on the end.

Jack Klarich likes this.