free website stats program S&S Carb leaking oil on 1200 Sportster | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S Carb leaking oil on 1200 Sportster

Monty81

My mechanic took my S&S carb breather off a couple of weeks ago. Now the breather is leaking oil out of both screws that bolt the breather to the block. Before I take the breather off do I need to go get some o-rings or anyone have any tips on a quick fix. Thanks Monty81

My mechanic took my S&S carb breather off a couple of weeks ago. Now the breather is leaking oil out of both screws that bolt the breather to the block. Before I take the breather off do I need to go get some o-rings or anyone have any tips on a quick fix. Thanks Monty81

May need new banjo crush gaskets and look up the torque, the bolts are hollow so look in the manual:s

Monty,

Is the oil pooling in the filter and then leaking out the bottom cover? The oil is suppose to vaporize and mix with the air and fuel to be burned in the combustion.

Are you using the same back plate? Cause, I think the S&S back plate has tubes directing the oil closer to the air inlet of the carb. I could be mistaken on this point.

Just thinking, did the oil get changed when the S&S cover was being changed out? Check the oil level and make sure it's not over filled.

if the umbrella valves in the lower rocker cover have worn then oil may be more prevelant in the air filter
there is always oil mist in the air comming out of the breathers

Brian

Fin,

I was thinking this too as I've experience this issue with my 2001.

I've also researched a bit when trying to find out what was happenning and found a dirty filter can have the same symptoms and it's easy to clean or replace and see if the problem persists.

Most likely not the issue but, can't hurt to clean the filter.

Hey guys thanks for the help, I took off my breather off discovered a few things. For more info it's a K&N bullet style breather and the one thing i discovered is they down sized the mounting bracket breather bolts with inserts inside my block. I'm not sure if this is okay? Instead of a half inch breather bolt it's a 5/16 bolt and the hole on the bottom of the bolt is 1/8 or 3/16 and the hole that lines up with the breather bracket hole is 1/8. Is that restricting the breather air flow?

The oil was coming out between the banjo gaskets and the block, the breather bolts direct the air/oil to the breather bracket, and my breather has no tubes. So when I put everything back together I made sure I lined up the hole below the head of the bolt with the breather bracket. After I did that my oil issue went away for now. Does anyone know if you can clean this style of breather?

Attached Pic
Monty

Attachments

• HD PIC2.jpg
    HD PIC2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
The different size of banjo bolt may be attributed to the twin cam engine as they use a smaller size than the evo and the kit may have required the smaller bolt size to be used

Brian

Hey guys thanks for the help, I took off my breather off discovered a few things. For more info it's a K&N bullet style breather and the one thing i discovered is they down sized the mounting bracket breather bolts with inserts inside my block. I'm not sure if this is okay? Instead of a half inch breather bolt it's a 5/16 bolt and the hole on the bottom of the bolt is 1/8 or 3/16 and the hole that lines up with the breather bracket hole is 1/8. Is that restricting the breather air flow?

The oil was coming out between the banjo gaskets and the block, the breather bolts direct the air/oil to the breather bracket, and my breather has no tubes. So when I put everything back together I made sure I lined up the hole below the head of the bolt with the breather bracket. After I did that my oil issue went away for now. Does anyone know if you can clean this style of breather?

Attached Pic
Monty
If it is K N sure thing:s

Back