S&s carb and poppong noise in warm weather?

Discussion in 'Engine, Fuel and Exhaust' started by dvndogbagger, Aug 10, 2010.

1. dvndogbagger

dvndogbagger Member

So I live in maine and the weather changes from day to day, I justed picked this bike up a week ago and did a bike run up to sugarloaf mountain 70's day 50's night and the bike ran great!

Now I took it to work today and it is humid and warm probably mid 80's and I noticed some vague popping noise possibly backfiring is this typical and can it be fixed?

I am not sure if it is jetted but my guess would be yes.

Thanks for all help

2. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Carbs are funny that way, but tuneable check your main jet size Thats one more reason for EFI but SS is a very good carb and easy to get parts for:s

3. R. Lewis

R. Lewis Senior Member Retired Moderators

How about adding some Sea Foam or something simular for now and see if its stilll popping?

4. dvndogbagger

dvndogbagger Member

I will try some sea foam thats a great idea, I love that stuff I have 3 cans in the garage. Another thing is the previous owner told me on the S&S carb you should shut the gas valve every time you ride due to gas flowing back in your crankcase?

5. dvndogbagger

dvndogbagger Member

So I put on about 300 miles this weekend and added the seafoam to the tank according to specs. Still had some popping out of the carb issues, I am wandering if it running a wisker to lean? I forgot if turning the idle mixture screw in or out is leaner or richer?

I was always told turn the screw in when engine is warm until it runs rough and then back out until smooth.

6. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Idle screw. Jack the rpms up in the 1000-1200 rpm range. Tweak the mixture screw for best idle, then back off another 1/8-1/4 turn. Try it.

But popping is sometimes a symptom of an intake leak. Check this out:

Finding An Intake Leak - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

7. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Another thing to check is intake alignment, HD makes a tool for this or you can use triangles to check for proper alignment:s