free website stats program S&s carb and poppong noise in warm weather? | Harley Davidson Forums

S&s carb and poppong noise in warm weather?

So I live in maine and the weather changes from day to day, I justed picked this bike up a week ago and did a bike run up to sugarloaf mountain 70's day 50's night and the bike ran great!

Now I took it to work today and it is humid and warm probably mid 80's and I noticed some vague popping noise possibly backfiring is this typical and can it be fixed?

I am not sure if it is jetted but my guess would be yes.

Thanks for all help

Carbs are funny that way, but tuneable check your main jet size Thats one more reason for EFI but SS is a very good carb and easy to get parts for:s

How about adding some Sea Foam or something simular for now and see if its stilll popping?

I will try some sea foam thats a great idea, I love that stuff I have 3 cans in the garage. Another thing is the previous owner told me on the S&S carb you should shut the gas valve every time you ride due to gas flowing back in your crankcase?

So I put on about 300 miles this weekend and added the seafoam to the tank according to specs. Still had some popping out of the carb issues, I am wandering if it running a wisker to lean? I forgot if turning the idle mixture screw in or out is leaner or richer?

I was always told turn the screw in when engine is warm until it runs rough and then back out until smooth.

Back