free website stats program S&S argument against SBC lifters | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S argument against SBC lifters

Dan.1977P

Found this video when I was searching for the tappet block gasket number and it's an interesting view.
It was a good experiment but I would have liked to see the lifters taken apart with an explanation of why this was happening.

I know lots of folks run them, so is it really this bad? Are there any experiments that prove the opposite?

Two things I would point out with regard to the posted video:
1. A roller rocker is being used in lieu of the standard non roller rocker which 99% of anyone viewing the video would be using. I assume the roller rocker was used in on both cylinders, so all things being equal, probably not an issue but IMHO, not a representative test for Joe Sixpack.
2. The S&S Premium lifter ($270) is compared to the GM lifter; more expensive and manufactured to tighter tolerances than the S&S Standard ($125) or the GM performance lifter ($110 for a set of 4). A more representative and useful test would have been to compare the S&S Standard with a GM lilfter and the OEM HD lifter.

See the below pictures for a comparison of the HD OEM "B" lifter which is no longer available with a Comp Cams 850-1 lifter (top pic) and with a GM lifter (middle pic). The HD OEM "B" lifter was replaced by the OEM "C" lifter, I believe, in 2010. The "C" lifter was originally made in Mexico and did have some roller issue; not sure where they are manufactured now but quality seems to have improved. I have a picture but it doesn't wan to post for some reason. I can post in another reply if anyone wants to see it.Comp Cams lifter_compare.jpg Note below the only difference being the hole in the piddle valve which could slow down, but not by much, flow of oil to the rocker arms. Of course, a set of $270 lifters is going to perform better than a set of $110 or $125 lifters but the real question is whether or not there is a cost benefit. IMHO, in a stock motor, almost any lifter is better than the current "C" version of the HD lifter but, unless money is just burning a hole in one's pocket, I don't see the cost benefit in replacing the HD OEM lifters with a set of $270 lifters when a set of Comp Cams 850-1 lifters for $70 to your door will get the job done. BTW, the Comp Cams lifters are basically a GM lifter but I don't have on broken down into parts.HD_B_vs_SBC_01.JPG

Thanks, dolt. I knew part of the reasoning for the video was to try to steer customers to their premium lifters but it was still shocking to see no oil at the top end for six minutes.
Now I just need to get a couple gaskets and I can finally drop in the 850-1's I bought two years ago!

C lifter.jpg
Thanks, dolt. I knew part of the reasoning for the video was to try to steer customers to their premium lifters but it was still shocking to see no oil at the top end for six minutes. Now I just need to get a couple gaskets and I can finally drop in the 850-1's I bought two years ago!

I am not convinced that there was no oil up top; perhaps not enough to register in the video. I have observed first hand oil flow up top with rocker box covers removed and it varies from motor to motor. None will squirt like oil from a SBC lifter but it's more like trickle. The HD oiling system, as you probably know, is based on volume, not pressure. The oil light on early TCs would often blink at hot idle as the oil pressure would bounce around between 0-3psi.

Good luck with the Comp Cams lifters. Like anything else, quality will vary from set to set. Those lifters are supplied from various vendors and many come from off shore suppliers. Most that I know that have used them have done so with no issues. A photo of the HD "C" lifter is attached.

I've been running Comp.Cam 850-1 lifters in my 96" Twin Cam with .550 lift cams for about 3 yrs. No noisier than stock HD, and no problems with anything in the valve train.
As noted in the last paragraph of Dolt's above post, Comp. uses various/multiple vendors. Two of my 4 lifters had different style retaining clips when received. I called Competition Cams, and was told they could be from different vendors or just a different batch of clips on the bench. They were willing to send me 4 identical lifters if it would make me feel better. I decided to go with what I had. No regrets yet.

I called Competition Cams, and was told they could be from different vendors or just a different batch of clips on the bench. They were willing to send me 4 identical lifters if it would make me feel better. I decided to go with what I had. No regrets yet.

I have not done it but have been told by reliable sources that if one calls Comp Cams and requests 850-1 lifters made in the USA, they will send them; made by Delphi, same outfit that used to make the HD "B" lifter.

Back