free website stats program S&S A/C & slipons | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S A/C & slipons

Spade5

The April issue of American Iron shows an install of this kit on a stock engine. They do some dyno runs and show the power increase with the air cleaner and then again with the mufflers never taking the bike off the dyno.

I don't remember the numbers but there was a power increase with the A/C but almost no gain when adding the mufflers which to me is fine.

The thing that struck me was they did nothing to the fuel mixture stating that the system would adjust itself after about 15 minutes of run time. I was under the impression that the stock HD system didn't do much adjusting.

If the system can adjust itself, why does HD do the Stage 1 download? If the bike were running lean, would it show up on the dyno? I believe this was done at a HD dealer.

In American Iron Mag the article says a S&S Quick Setup can be added to a 2007 (Big Twin w/O2 sensors) by:

Installing the intake
Running it 15 minutes for the ECM to autoadjust
Installing the exhaust slip-ons
Running it 15 minutes for the ECM to autoadjust

I don't know how much the ECM can autoadjust but adding a Fuel Pak would probably be a safe bet.

Incidentally, they dyno'ed it and almost all the added power came from doing the intake alone. They had dyno numbers for before and after the intake was added, and then before and after the exhaust was added. The bike, a 2007 Road Glide w/2500 miles, was supposed to be warmed up for the posted numbers.

Here are the quoted numbers of the testing as run at Fritz's H-D of Stamford, CT:
HP / Torque
Base run: 65.48 / 82.67
w/Intake 75.97 / 89.06
w/Intake and mufflers 76.48 / 89.17

That sure seems to point to the intake as the biggest restriction as well as Harley's Enthusiast article saying a remap is not needed if only their mufflers are used. They said adding an intake requires a remap.

Back