free website stats program S&S 509C install on a 2006 FatBoy 88B | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S 509C install on a 2006 FatBoy 88B

the S&S 510 is a gear cam, & the biggest you can install w/o head work. thats what i have in my '09 t/g, and now in my 03 r/g. as you know if the shoes go, so goes your oil pump etc. good luck.lb

Your '03 valve springs will not accommodate cams with more than .510" lift, as you state but the S&S 510 is available as a chain drive cam as well as a gear drive cam.

The '05 and later models can accommodate cam with .600" lift. Headwork should always be matched to the chosen cam but has nothing to do with what cam can or cannot be installed.:s

Why aren't more riders going to gear drive? Thinking of going gears on my next upgrade.

Gear drive cams used to be the only alternative to eliminate the failure prone tensioner shoes. However, with the introduction of the hydro tensioner and roller chains in the '07 up models and the corresponding change in the warranty spec for crank runout from .003" to .012" along with the outsourcing of the crank manufacture to an off shore supplier, many models were delivered with crank runout in excess of the .003" max for gear drive cams.

Additionally, with the later weaker cranks, if running gear drive cams and the crank tweaked a bit, the entire cam chest could grenade and ruin a motor. The later chain drive system is much more forgiving in that situation.

There is really no need for gear drive cams now.:s

One reason would be the run out on the pinion shaft. If more than .003" then it is not recommended.
tourbox

Why aren't more riders going to gear drive? Thinking of going gears on my next upgrade.

After changing my shoes, I no longer believe the sky is falling and honestly believe that chain drive is more reliable if I'm not going to check my crank runout and make it perfect.

Update on the noise. I took the rear cylinder rocker cover off and checked for lateral play on the rocker arm and the exhaust port arm had a ton of play and the intake had none. I also removed the bolts retaining the shaft the arms ride on and the exhaust one slid right out while the intake wouldn't budge. I noticed some scratches on the rockerbox too that don't make any sense unless someone was messing around in there and gauged it with a tool. The previous owner may have been doing that and would explain why that cover was leaking and the front hasn't leaked yet. And last, there is already scoring on the new pushrods too. I wonder if they are making contact with the covers somehow but the pattern doesn't really support that.

I put it all together with some red locktite on the end of the shaft to see if it will remain in place and quiet things down. I let it set overnight so I have no idea if it worked but there was tell tale scoring on the shaft and bolt. I don't know why I didn't measure the lateral play but I'll check it this afternoon if it's still really noisy.

Attachments

• IMG_3849.jpg
    IMG_3849.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3858.jpg
    IMG_3858.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3862.jpg
    IMG_3862.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3867.jpg
    IMG_3867.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 13
More photos.
Was looking to add a new circuit and noticed the battery has been rubbing the sheathing off the ignition wire at the fuse board too. Wouldn't have ever thought to check this had I not wanted a usb charger wired into the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_3871.jpg
    IMG_3871.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3847.jpg
    IMG_3847.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 10
Back