free website stats program S&S 509C install on a 2006 FatBoy 88B | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

S&S 509C install on a 2006 FatBoy 88B

I was trying real hard to make it but I had plans I didn't know about keeping me from being there. They had trouble getting a signal from the crank position sensor yesterday afternoon just before closing. Weekend is packed so no riding anyway but would be nice to have it done.
WAP.gif

So, my power commander is bad. They are sending it back and Dynojet will likely not be able to fix it since it's been out of service for so long now. This kind of helped me make the decision to finally get rid of that stupid thing and put a TTS Mastertune on instead. That's their preferred tuner and they tune all their race bikes with it so I know they have plenty of experience with it.

Boo that I have to spend more money but yay that I get a much better tuner and hopefully they can't fix the PCIII so I get a credit back or they are giving me a deep discount on a new PCV that I can resell. Also, I can at least not worry about needing a new tuner when I get the chance to add more displacement later :)

Im here and we are looking at at least 84 trq coming on at 2500 and staying till 5500. Afr is all over the place and cruising was super rich. Once they fix that it will be interesting where it ends.
This is up from 70 on just the ecm and 81 with the power commander map.
WAP.gif

Well, I'm pretty happy with what they were able to get out of this little 88 and 509 combo. I went in with the canned map that was supposed to most closely matched for my build and they found 10% more HP and TQ. In an effort for full disclosure, when they flashed the PCIII, it stopped reading the crank position sensor. They did the same on one they had in the shop and had the same issue. Not sure if the issue with the PCIII was already there and causing my MPG and heat problems but it's a possibility. Opted for using a TTS MasterTune so I'm sure some of the gains can be attributed to the vastly better tuner as well.
Can't wait to pick it up and see how much different it feels!

Attachments

• IMG_3667.jpg
    IMG_3667.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 16
Nice looking graph. I was hoping you would see 75HP/90TQ and your tuner got dang close; I would say your tuner is a keeper.

I think you will be happy, for about 3K miles. Once the power bug bites, it's hard to resist the urge for more.:D

Nice looking graph. I was hoping you would see 75HP/90TQ and your tuner got dang close; I would say your tuner is a keeper.

I think you will be happy, for about 3K miles. Once the power bug bites, it's hard to resist the urge for more.:D

Yeah, I already asked them about their 98" builds. $4800 for everything to get to 98", plus head work ($1200 just for the heads), tune and tuner. I already have the new tuner and am going to see about some part time work there when I pick the bike up so it could cost less. To do it myself, it would be about $2000 in parts according to the sheet I saw. More than I can spend now but something to shoot for later.

Yeah, I already asked them about their 98" builds. $4800 for everything to get to 98", plus head work ($1200 just for the heads), tune and tuner. I already have the new tuner and am going to see about some part time work there when I pick the bike up so it could cost less. To do it myself, it would be about $2000 in parts according to the sheet I saw. More than I can spend now but something to shoot for later.

I know a source for a 98" kit for about $1400-$1500 that includes cylinder boring, piston/ring fitment, Stage I head work, cams and gaskets when you are ready. The source is reliable and good to work with; has forgotten more than I know about the HD vtwin motor.

You can DIY the project and you don't need to spend $1200 for a set of worked heads. A great set of heads can be had for about half that.:s

I know a source for a 98" kit for about $1400-$1500 that includes cylinder boring, piston/ring fitment, Stage I head work, cams and gaskets when you are ready. The source is reliable and good to work with; has forgotten more than I know about the HD vtwin motor.

You can DIY the project and you don't need to spend $1200 for a set of worked heads. A great set of heads can be had for about half that.:s

I'll have to remember that when the time comes. Thanks.

I've only been able to ride it for about an hour and it was through a windstorm so I spent more time trying to stay on the road than playing with the throttle. What I did notice was that it's smoother and definitely pulls stronger. The valve train is still as noisy as ever and I'll get some new lifters in August and check on the rocker shaft movement when I do that.
All in all, I'm really impressed with the tune and the folks at Wolford. Not impressed with the powercommander. That (EDIT) cost me about $600 I wasn't ready to spend. Hopefully they can't fix it and just credit Wolford. If they do that, Wolford said they would just refund that right back to me since nobody going through their shop wants powercommanders.

Please read this...

HDTimeline Language Policy - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
the S&S 510 is a gear cam, & the biggest you can install w/o head work. thats what i have in my '09 t/g, and now in my 03 r/g. as you know if the shoes go, so goes your oil pump etc. good luck.lb

Back