free website stats program Rx Motorcycle Glasses/Goggles | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rx Motorcycle Glasses/Goggles

Thought I would just post a follow-up and update.

I ordered a pair of WileyX Blink glasses with transition lenses and Anti-reflective coating (a must if you are riding at night in my opinion). I ordered from SportRX.com, and thanks to Rob, I received them within two weeks!

I can't praise these glasses enough. Durable, well designed, and fit my face like a "glove." :)

Kudos to SportRX.com for fast turn time, great customer service, and quality product. Also, thanks to all here for their valued input and direction.

I have a question to you riders with special Rx glasses.

What's your vision problems? I have astigmatism with a little bit of near-sight and have had problems getting good glasses for my Rx. I'm also being told that on my next set I'll have to go bi-focal. To top it off, I only have (really) one good eye as I have had lazy eye since birth.

My eye Drs. have all said that for me glasses are mucho important as I have to protect my one good eye, so I tend to want a good pair of wrap-arounds.

I've tried a slew of sunglasses and the only ones I've ever been able to wear are Bolle Paroles (which I do like) with the Rx insert.

The problem I'm having is that with my astigmatism, wrap-around lenses tend to distort getting away from the center of the lens. My Rx inserts in my Bolles solve that by...well...being flat.

I talked to a guy at the Int'l Motorcycle Show in Chicago (he is out of Sturgis I believe) and he was trying to sell me on his glasses. I'm not sure if it was WileyX types but they look pretty close. I'd love to get something like those but am afraid to pull the trigger because I've had really bad luck with any kind of sunglass with curvature.

Thoughts?

But I have a huge issue buying Rx glasses by mail.

What's your vision problems? I have astigmatism with a little bit of near-sight and have had problems getting good glasses for my Rx. I'm also being told that on my next set I'll have to go bi-focal. To top it off, I only have (really) one good eye as I have had lazy eye since birth.

I have the same issues with the exception of a lazy eye.

The problem I'm having is that with my astigmatism, wrap-around lenses tend to distort getting away from the center of the lens. My Rx inserts in my Bolles solve that by...well...being flat.

This is a known issue with astigmatism. All of the curved lenses will slightly distort at varying degrees around center. My new glasses do have slight distortion, but it is something that I have come to accept with Rx wrapping sunglasses. I don't really notice it anymore... it just isn't that much.

But I have a huge issue buying Rx glasses by mail.

I am with you on this one 100%. I was the same way. I called SportRx.com and spoke with Rob. He was extremely helpful and even told me what I could expect from my prescription in the particular frame I was interested in (Wiley-X Blinks). These are the glasses that are milled and used by some of our armed forces in combat. I was skeptical about the prescription up until the glasses arrived. They were perfect, and I was quite pleased.

My $.02 would be to try on different models at your local shop to get an idea of what frames work on your face. After that, you can try mail order with your chosen frames and prescription lenses. Most reputable companies have some type of return policy. Unfortunately, this matter is 100% up to your own tastes and requirements.

Skratch, I also have astigmatism and I wear bifocals for reading. I have worn Ray Bans and liked them ( large lenses good protection) since my prescription changed and I have to get new glasses I have decided to try "Fit Overs". I always thought they looked big and clumsy, but seeing the new styles of riding glasses I don't see much difference. The advantage to these is that you wear your prescription underneath and the "Fit Overs" give you extra protection due to their large lenses and wide side shields.

Just another option to consider.

Thanks for the input.

I too have tried Ray Bans and didn't like them. But I think part of that is where I got them.

I've been to Lenscrafters on 2 occasions and both times couldn't get the glasses to work the way they should. The prescription I'm wearing now is from Lenscrafters and I'm sorry I paid for them. My old prescription was much better than this but unfortunately I lost them which is why I went to Lenscrafters in the first place.

But just to add gas to the fire, if anyone is looking for a good set of wrap-arounds and are concerned with distortion, look into Bolle's. They have several models available in wraparound and goggles. They all use the Rx insert which I find works very well. I've worn them for about 10 + years with never an issue.

But I would be in the market for a nice set of Rx goggles for riding if I could be sure that I could actually see with them!!! :s

I've also got the same problem. I had some prescription sunglasses made for some knock-off frames at the optomotrist. They were not curved quite as much as the wraparounds, but did have some. They also had a small area of bifocals in them.

I wear the Wiley-X Blinks in non-prescription, and really like them. My only complaint is that when I have the foam gasket on them it really cuts into my peripheral vision.

Ditto the astigmatism. I also have a huge head. Had Wiley SD1's for years. Not true wrap around lenses, but the best I could do with my Rx. A year ago Panoptix made a frame for us fat heads. Wrap around style with a rubber seal on the inside. Unfortunately with my Rx, Progressives were out, but got yellow tint that turns dark brown in bright sun.

Good Luck, prescription 'goggles' really make riding better!

Back