Rusty..

Discussion in 'Wheels' started by Safehaven, May 29, 2010.

1. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

I just got nailed last week, we went for a benefit ride and after about 50 km the group stopped for a drink. 15 minutes later when I got back on the bike I noticed that it was difficult to move.. kicked the kickstand back out and sure, there was a 4 inch rusty nail straight through my tire!

Deflation must have been very gradual, or it must have just happened before we stopped, either way I am glad nothing happened. I figure I had at least 5000 km left on these wheels, it's a shame..

The repair guy said it could be fixed by changing the inner tube and leave the outer tire on since the carcass wasn't damaged, but I figure it just isn't worth the risk..

On the upside, bye bye dunlop and hello Metzlers!

2. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

It is rather strange that you picked up a nail "NOW"...usually it is proportional to how new the tire is...the newer the tire, the more likely you will get "nailed". You will like the Metzlers...! BTW, I love your "moving" avatar...LOL

3. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

Thanks :) I came across a gif one day of a guy riding a hog and thought it to be very appropriate ;)

4. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your flat...turns a nice outing into frustration. You probably don't have any "Wal Mart" stores in Belgium, but can probably order one of these small compressor kits on-line (denniskirk.com). Adds a little insurance for future flats...Cheers!

Attached Files:

5. jaceddie

jaceddie Junior Member

Having a small compressor and plugging kit on board, is a life saver when trouble strikes.

6. Safehaven

Safehaven Active Member

Thanks for the tip, I've bought myself a mini compressor set from airman and an 16oz bottle of slime :)

Bring on the nails!