free website stats program rusty tank blues | Harley Davidson Forums

rusty tank blues

bus driver

I have a 91 ultra classic with a rusty tank. I have used the three part tank liner kit with great success in the past. My concern is the interconnect tubes and how to keep the epoxy from sealing them closed. I was thinking of placing a piece of copper wire in the tube and before it sets up removing the wire. Or at least spinning the wire. The tubes have a 90 degree turn to them so it would be difficult to put anything other then something flexible in there. Any suggesstions would be greatly apperciated. This might sound stupid but are those interconnect tubes necessary or does the fuel make it's way over to the other side during normal riding anyway. When I removed the tank to flush it,the interconnect tubes were clogged with debris anyway. So who knows. Thanx for the help. Bus Driver.

The interconnect tube allows both sides of tank to "equalize" level so your gas capacity can be fully utilized without a "sputter" and allows access to to your reserve level. There may also be some baffles to minimize "sloshing" so check the interior carefully.

Try a plastic straw. When done, you can cut the straw flush with the inside of the tank and end of the nipple if it gets glued in place, but you should be able to remove it after the epoxy starts to set up to the point were it will no longer flow.

TQ

Back