free website stats program Rusty pipes. | Harley Davidson Forums

Rusty pipes.

Bilgeslop

I have a supertrapp 2 into 1 on my '09 Streetbob. Great sound and performance, but the darn black coating(ceramic, I think) is rusting off of the thing. Supertrapp won't do anything, I already tried. I decided just to repaint it. Can anyone recommend a good durable exhaust paint?

Wonder what the heat rating is on Line-X? It would be a good finish if it doesnt burn....

Found the answer:
Will LINE-X withstand temperature extremes?

Yes, LINE-X is rated for use in temperatures from subzero to 250 F. You can find LINE-X trucks in the performing to specs in the cold of Alaska to the heat of Arizona. If you have a higher temperature requirement (up to 350F), we have a commercial grade product that may be a good option for you.

I have used both Rustoleum BBQ paint rated at 1200* and some paint sold at Autozone ( I think it's VHT ) rated at 2000*. The stuff at Autozone even also sells a separate primer. They both seem to take the heat of pipes with no problem.

I do have some problems with the paint scuffing from my boots and in some cases chipping off. Make sure you sand the pipes well. But even though the heat paint has so much ceramic (or something) in it, that it is just not as durable as regular paint.

I just keep touching mine up until I can afford a full blown powder job.

Painted Heat Shields - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks for the help, everybody. I'm going with the VHT flame proof. But I don't think I'm gonna let my bike idle fore 20 minutes at a time to cure it. I'll ride for 20 minutes, stop for a beer, ride for 20 minutes, stop for a beer...until both me and the bike are "cured"!:newsmile03:

Back