free website stats program rusty front caliper bolts | Harley Davidson Forums

rusty front caliper bolts

billyd1

Hello ladies and gents. I want to replace the rusty front caliper bolts on my '09 RKC. Should I go stainless steel or chrome? Where's the best place to get them?

Attachments

• rusty bolts.jpg
    rusty bolts.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 41
Hello ladies and gents. I want to replace the rusty front caliper bolts on my '09 RKC. Should I go stainless steel or chrome? Where's the best place to get them?

IMO stainless stays nice longer, BUT most stainless is not graded for strength.
Unless you can find purpose made ss rotor bolts, I'd go with chrome. Russell and Colony are good suppliers.

If you go chrome, be sure to chase the threads for burs, and I would use loctite and a torque wrench:D

Thanks gentlemen. Alloyboltz it is Smitty your the man! Should I use red or blue loctite? My instincts say red.

In other words stick with Blue loctite as Smitty said (you do want to be able to remove a fastener without having to heat parts); and after chasing or cleaning the threads as Jack said to prevent galling or crossthreading...

Hello Smitty901,
I just checked out that link to the polished bolt site. From what I have seen the prices are real good and they are graded bolts.
Thanks,
Gator

working with stainless all day, i personally, would never use stainless anywhere heat is involved. stainless steel, austentic grades 304,308, 310, 316, tend to seize and gall causing tremendous problems. compounding this is an aluminum caliper prone to road debris corrossion and the need for a threadlocking compound-loctite. i NEVER use a stainless fastener without a good grade of bostick never-seez. note trade name. in my opinion stainless is best relegated to industrial uses for piping or machinery where corrosion resisantance is needed. please also remember-stainless is just that. a stain resistant steel. get a good grade 5 to 8 chrome plated fastener and use the loctite. sleep well knowing it will come out later.

Great info and to add one thing the grades of stainless DO NOT coincide with those of the regular steel bolts.

Back