free website stats program Rusty frame on 1993 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Rusty frame on 1993 Ultra

Lug59

I have a rusty frame with a hole on my 1993 Ultra Classic, lower left hand side at the back of the frame. The hole is a result of the rust and I want to cut this small hole (dime sized) out and weld in a patch. Is it allowed or recommended to weld the frame?

Yeah, this is one where you definitely want the work done by a professional. Not only does the weld have to have integrity, but you need to make certain that all of the rust is cut out. I can't stress this last part enough. If you don't get all of the rust, it;ll just keep eating away...Good luck..

People build frames so should be no problem, just use a certified welder that knows his stuff, I would just grind the rust out completely then fill in with the weld.

It must be a problem with those frames, my 88 FLHTC has the same exact thing on the right side. I would and will do as several have stated. Clean out all rust and have it welded.

The key here is having it done professionally, as they will do it right using the proper amount of heat, keeping it locally and not fatigue the metal.

We all know what can happen if not...remembering the pix in the thread on the burning bike tribute...sparks and fuel don't mix.:newsmile07:

Thanks Everyone...great advise, thought I might be in huge trouble here. I'll seek a professional to complete this job. Don't need things falling apart while on the road God knows where. :small3d028:

Lug; When you get it welded, have the welder put his ground clamp as close to the hole as practical. This will prevent problems with your electronic ign. (even if it is a '93).

Thanks Breeze, good idea, I was going to disconnect the battery too, don't need anything back feeding through the electrical system.

The most sensitive thing is the electronic control module (read EXPENSIVE microprocessor to replace), would unplug it to be sure.

Back