free website stats program Rusty CVO Tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Rusty CVO Tank

Roulph

upload_2016-3-23_11-46-51.jpeg
This is the tank of my two-year-old CVO breakout, I am currently waiting for a new tank from Harley to replace this tank. This will be the fourth tank fitted to my bike since new and each time I have had to wait months for the replacement tank to arrive currently I am being told that the replacement tank will arrive on the third week of April which means effectively I have waited over four months for a replacement. The first tank developed a smaller rust patch under the clear coating and was replaced after a three month wait, the second tank was full of rust on arrival and promptly blocked up both the fuel filter and damage the fuel pump. This was replaced under warranty with the third tank which can see in the picture, the rust and clearcoat flaking off started to happen within three weeks of sitting this tank and I do not hold much hope for the next one. I have suggested to the local dealer that they just paint all the tins black be done with it but it really is a great disappointment that having spent this much money on a CVO I cannot have the original paintwork I ordered. Other bikers cannot believe how bad this rust has gotten over a few weeks and there is obviously something wrong in the quality-control department of Harley-Davidson. Although this is a great bike to ride I am deeply disappointed in the quality-control and the way that Harley have responded. I have three other bikes one of which is over 20 years old from Harley Davidson and have never had a rust problem like this before. Do any of the riders have similar experiences and can you let me know how you finally resolved them.upload_2016-3-23_11-46-51.jpeg

I've never heard of such a problem. Where do you live that you have that much moisture to cause that?

There must be a production issue. As you know if different metals are not properly insulated and are able to be in contact with one and another it sets up a cell that causes corrosion. so primer of something is not being applied properly. Has dealer contacted factory Rep. This is nonsense for a high end bike let alone any bike Harley sells.

H D paint is not what it used to be IMO, My Streetbob developed bubbles on the fenders, I read some where they are using water based paint now HMMMMM

I can't believe the OP was unlucky enough to get 3 tanks with the same issue. I think something else is going on. JMHO
I can see it happening now and again to some scoots around the country but 3 tanks same scoot. :rolleyes:

I read a discussion not too long ago, and it was about CVO tanks being handmade. I will search around and see if I can dig up more information for you. Or maybe it was they were hand painted? I'll still search.
Try below link. Breakout CVO tanks are hand polished, then only a thin clear coat film is put over top. Seems to be a big problem.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=92500.15

Last edited:
It does seem that hand polished and then a thin clear coat is perhaps not good enough protection in anything but a very dry environment
But any road dirt or even wind blown sand could damage the surface enough to let moisture through to the metal
On this side of the pond almost all automotive paint is water based due to environmental issues and perhaps this does not help when only a thin coat of paint is applied

Brian

Don't know if the following is applicable since they refer to rust inside the tank during a discussion of CVO BOs overheating. These came from http://www.harley-davidsonforums.co...heating-what-i-have-done-fix.html#post3252970 I offer them anyway:

Hey Guys.
I had the same problem with my 2014 CVO BO here in Australia. After months of bickering with HD, they coughed it up.
New oversize pistons, bored out 10 thou, redo the heads, all under warranty. I have eventually found out why your breakout CVO overheated.

Here it is..... Are you sitting down? The guys who polished the tanks with cutting compound on the assembly line did not plug the fuel filler cap, so all the cutting compound got into the fuel tank. So....once the fuel tank was filled with the cutting compound still in the tank, it caused an abrasive action on the fuel pump impellers wearing them out causing low fuel pressure causing a lean mixture, pinging, detonating, stalling and eventually seizing. WOW. One of the head HD technicians informed me that HD knew about this back in April 2014 and a memo was sent out to all the HD dealerships stating that the fuel tank was to be removed and washed out during predelivery. What a chain of events hey? I hope this helps. Now we wait for HD to have a recall.

...I've been the mechanical trade for 35 years including teaching fuel injection systems. The tank polishing on the CVO breakouts is a 15 stage process to polish the metal so it looks like chrome. First time ever in the world on an assembly line. Why whould you think that a head HD technician would make up a story like that and then tell me they are paying for all the repairs (new oversize Pistons, bore the barrels, send heads away for a full service and fit new fuel pump) on my bike at HD's expense. The bike was playing up not long after I picked it up and obviously got worse when the hot weather arrived. It was surging, back firing through the air cleaner (lean mixture) hard to start and pinging.
... Regards (EDIT) CVO BO owner

Another forum member brought up the following and I hope this portion is a one time error at the factory:

I have a 2014 cvo breakout. Imported it myself with only 300 miles on the clock. Bike has always been lazy to start even after a new battery. the other day when I was riding it I noticed it was getting extremely hot and automatically cut out the rear cylinder At the traffic lights I rode it another 1km and pulled up and turned it off. went to check the oil and burnt my hand even touching the dipstick. Proceeded to start it and it wouldn't even wind over. Let it cool down for a few hours and ask a mate who said it sounds like it was running lean. Give it a full tank of 98 and added fuel cleaner. Seams to run fine now. It hot the better of me as I noticed oil around my head bolts. Gave it an oil change, found metal in the filter. compression test at 145 psi both cylinders which is good.
Still not satisfied so I bores coped inside the cylinders. Found score marks on the bores.
Pulled the tank to check the fuel filter then bang. There it is. Found a rag in the tank from when they polushed it at the factory.
drained the tank and the whole thing is full of rust. the tank is literally lined with scum which looks like it has oxidized in there. the whole tank looks to me needs replacing. Who knows what other damage it has font internally

So for anyone who posted above about old mates theory about the cutting compound in the tanks.
he is right and I advise all of you guys that own one to pull your tanks and put your foot up the closest harley dealer workshop managers (EDIT)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rag 3_1428571972932.jpg (659.7 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Tank 2_1428571991474.jpg (717.4 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3909_1428572024398.jpg (618.4 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, You may want to introduce yourself in the new member intro section and read the rules as well.

Last edited:
I find this wildly interesting to be nothing more than bashing the HD mark. And its interesting for as long as this forum has been around and the numerous CVO owners that are Members here this has never been heard of for of the thousands of CVO's sold there should be numerous like stories. How for the life of me could a 35 year experience fuel injection expert believe that the lack of fuel pressure could possibly burn up a engine. I have never heard of any vehicle with a electronic fuel pump system burn up a engine as the fuel pump was failing.....
Can you say (EDIT)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back