free website stats program Rusty battery tray | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Rusty battery tray

I think the nicest solution would be to strip prime and paint. However, I really dont have the experience with this,or a spray gun for the painting and am worried what it may look like. I think I might actually try the bedliner idea. Does anybody have a suggestion on a particular brand of bedliner? Is this stuff sprayed from a can or do I roll it on like paint?

A spray can of Rustoleum will do just fine, what caused this problem, overcharging or leaky loose battery?

I think the nicest solution would be to strip prime and paint. However, I really dont have the experience with this,or a spray gun for the painting and am worried what it may look like. I think I might actually try the bedliner idea. Does anybody have a suggestion on a particular brand of bedliner? Is this stuff sprayed from a can or do I roll it on like paint?

Spray can paint will work good on this job. The bed liner comes in brush on and spray on. If your '02 battery tray is like my '92, it comes off with the 3 bolts you have to loosen to get the battery out. To touch up frame nicks, I spray some paint into the cap and use a small brush or Q tip to dab it on.

I used POR 15 in the satin black finish. Follow instructions for best results. The stuff is tough as nails. A starter kit is about $15.00 go to their website.

Do you have access to a sand blaster? Maybe one of your rider bros. Got to get the rust out as well as possible, prime, light scuff, and paint. Let dry, reinstall.

All good advice here, I might brush on some Naval Jelly, rinse off, wire brush, prime at least 2 coats, paint it at least 2 coats, seal it and forget it, but I would keep an eye on the charging system and see if it is over charging and use a sealed battery, just my 2 cents, Capital Jack:s
Jack, you bring up an interesting point when you mentioned the charging system. I bought the bike used about 2 months ago. The guy I purchased it from said it had a new battery which I didn't think anything about. About 200 miles later when I was dead on the road I realized Why he bought a new battery before selling. The stator was bad on it. I had the dealer install a new stator and now the bike seems to be running fine. This may have been the original cause of my problem. Hopefully now that I have a new stator and it was professionally installed my charging system is working properly.

As Breeze3at said do the baking soda wash, the battery acid was the culprit in this case , now after you do the repair paint ect, here is a old trick to prevent the problem from comming back, take a cotton woven type shoe string cut it in the lenth where the problem occured, roll the shoe sting in baking soda and set it in the problem area , you will need to due this after every riding season, but it will stop the issue you are having, dont konw of any acid resistant poducts in the way of paint ,but maybe you wil find one ,but I stick to the old school method baking soda on a shoe string.

Back