free website stats program Rusty battery tray | Harley Davidson Forums

Rusty battery tray

Dswartz

The battery tray on my 2002 Super glide is in slightly rough condition. I'm starting to get rust in several places. I was wondering if Harley makes a replacement battery tray for this bike and how much it would cost. If they don't make one does anybody have any tips on restoring the tray that I have. I don't really have any experience with restoring and painting metal parts but am willing to give it a try if necessary.

You can buy bed liner in a spray can.. makes a nice finish on things like battery tray ....Just a thought.....

I never thought about using a bed liner. If the color was right it's not a bad idea but doesn't it have an abrasive texture in it? Are there brands that dont have the texture and leave a smooth finish?

No, bedliner sprays are "rubberized" so they grip. Hit the rust spots w/rough sandpaper, or wire brush. Once you get it all off then pre-treat w/rust protectant (primer) and finish w/overcoat (spray). Should be a fairly easy project...good luck!

Clean the area with baking soda and water before painting. It will neutralize any acid and prevent lifting/bubbling in the future. Also clean any areas on the frame where the paint is damaged with the soda.

Shucks, it's a terrible thing to see your bike rust, There is a product called Fluid Film you can spray it all over your motorcycle and then wipe it of with a soft cloth. This should help with the rust problem.

If it were mine i would take it off the bike and clean it back to bare metal using wire brushes and abrasive paper then prime and then paint
Be aware wire brushes can be bought in various sizes and types i find the ones that fit into a drill and a dremel require less physical effort to remove paint and rust (wear eye protection)

Brian

All good advice here, I might brush on some Naval Jelly, rinse off, wire brush, prime at least 2 coats, paint it at least 2 coats, seal it and forget it, but I would keep an eye on the charging system and see if it is over charging and use a sealed battery, just my 2 cents, Capital Jack:s

I think the nicest solution would be to strip prime and paint. However, I really dont have the experience with this,or a spray gun for the painting and am worried what it may look like. I think I might actually try the bedliner idea. Does anybody have a suggestion on a particular brand of bedliner? Is this stuff sprayed from a can or do I roll it on like paint?

Like Jack said, don't just repair the rusted area, just as important, determine the root cause, as you don't want to make the repair and the have the problem start all over again. :57:

Back