free website stats program Rusted gas tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Rusted gas tank

HARLEY1063

I have run into a problem with my 97 Ultra Classic. The tank rusted bad inside and the pump will not come out. I do have a company that can get rid of the rust then i can get the pump out, But how strong is the bracket that holds the pump in place I'am hoping that it will cause no problems. The only other thing i have been told is to buy a new tank and insides at a cost of about $3,000.00.
I hope someone will have a better answer.

There's lots of motorcycle salvage yards, and ebay that have compatable tanks for WAY less than you were quoted. As for how strong the brackets inside your tank are, not real strong. Tanks are thin metal, if the rust inside is so bad bolts are frozen, it may be about through the paint in some areas.

Welcome to The Forum, I would buy a factory manual ASAP

fill tank with sand river sand about 1 gallon w seal it up wrap in heave blanket , put into dryer, (make sure its completly wraped good and stuff things in dryer so it wont move,,,, VERY IMPORTANT...DO NOT turn dry on to hot setting , use the cool down setting. tumble for a couple three four times check tank.. works for those rusted tanks. but its easier to just buy one off flea bay

I've used red apple cider vinegar before and it worked very well given at least two days to sit and work. Need to fill it completely to the neck though. Also as soon as you drain it, be sure to wash it out with gas to stop the flash rust that will happen. A tank sealer would probably be good once you get the pump out.

Back