free website stats program rust on swingarm pivot | Harley Davidson Forums

rust on swingarm pivot

khahn

My 3 month old FXDC has some pretty severe rusting around the right side of the pivot on the swing arm. Gonna visit the dealer this morning to see what they think. 028.JPG

Almost looks to me like you're missing some sort of cap that would prevent this from happening. Maybe not. Perhaps someone else who has your same bike could take a look at theirs.

There is a chrome cap missing, the dealer should take care of that for you:D

HD12FXD044.gif
Here is a picture for you

Part number 23 is 68222-06 list price is 3.49

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Jack. The missing cap makes sense now that you mention it. Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

To put an end to this tale, I took the bike into ABC Harley in Waterford, MI to have them look at it. They took one look, wheeled the bike into the garage, cleaned up the rust, hit it with some touch up paint and put on the missing cap. They had me out the door in about 45 minutes. Very pleased with the service.

:s Good deal, keep an eye on it for a few miles, the little gripper teeth can be spread out to keep it tighter:s

I plan to keep an eye on it since I don't really know if it was not installed at the factory or if it fell off. If I lose this one, the next one will be put on with a little rtv applied first.

Back