Rust on Cables

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by Bosbury1, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Bosbury1

Bosbury1 Active Member

How do I remove rust from a my clutch and throttle cables?

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Depending on which area it is on and how severe it is , I would use a chrome polish or a very fine abrasive pad.

3. Bosbury1

Bosbury1 Active Member

How about Simi-Chrome? Can and a scouring pad>

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Simi-Chrome will work with a piece of cloth.

5. Bosbury1

Bosbury1 Active Member

Thanks will give it a try.

6. Bosbury1

Bosbury1 Active Member

No dice on using Semi-Chrome to remove rust. Also, the cables are Diamondback. Thank you.

7. silentflyer

silentflyer Active Member

Semi-crome and Dremil tool with one of the cloth/felt type pads works well, just don't over do it with the Dremil.

8. Fisher

Fisher Account Removed

This stuff will remove light rust that hasn't pitted.And polish the heck outta anything else.

[​IMG]

9. Bosbury1

Bosbury1 Active Member

High pressure hose removed it all

10. TQuentin1

TQuentin1 Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Bosbury,

Question is, why do you have rust on your cables? Has the bike been sitting for a while? Are you near the ocean? Are you in the North where they might use salt on the roads?

The whole point here is the condition of your cables. If there is corrosion on the outside of the cables, there maybe more serious corrosion at the core strands. If the corrosion you can see and get to is pretty bad, you might be better off replacing the cable particularly the clutch. Bad news if that breaks on you. At least do a real thorough job of lubricating the cables inside of the jackets. I like to use an aggresive penetrating oil like Kroil liquid. Pretty confident that works its way into the strands.

TQ