free website stats program Rush Baffles | Harley Davidson Forums

Rush Baffles

I have picked up a set of nice 15301 Rush pipes I was told that the baffles are 1 3/4 and that just before I bought them the baffles were rewrapped using stove gasket rope. The mufflers are very quiet as quiet as the stock pipes that I took off. is it because of the rope ? or the size of the baffle? If it is the rope what do I replace the rope with to rewrap a smaller diameter rope or ?? Thanks Tim

The easy way to find out is to remove baffles and wrapping reinstall baffles and see what happens.....:)

The wrapping is for noise control. So remove rope and reinstall and see if the sound is right for you.... If a bit loud then remove baffles and find some good fiberglass or repack using less rope. I suspect that the reason rope was used was that occasionally the baffles will need repack and the previous owner used the rope to avoid the occasional repacking. I used to have the same mufflers and repacked them 3 times in 2 years.

The rope was put on to quiet them down as the guy's wife was complaining about the noise. It also lasts much longer as previously mentioned. Removing all packing / rope may give you a "tinney" sound that lot's of people don't like. Take them out and loosen the rope twists to provide some gap between the rounds and see if that will work, or just lightly repack with some glass from any bike shop for repacking 2 stroke mufflers most carry it pretty cheap.

I removed the wrap from my 2.5 just see what would happen, sounded great, but fuel mileage went down, so I called doebeck and they had me change the settings and now I got my sound and mileage back and great sound. Now I am going to experiment with a 2 and 2.5
WAP.gif

OK easily enough done Tim

Thanks for all of the replies, I have spoke way to soon with the above statement, I have done a search on removing the baffles and there are many post's that talk about it and a few suggestions, what's the best way to remove ? I looked at them tonight but didn't get real aggresive at pulling or twisting. Thanks again Tim

Back