Rush 2" baffles on my 2011 Ultra Classic Limited

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Sledboy434, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Sledboy434

Sledboy434 Member

I am now just beyond 2 months of ownership on my Limited, and right at 2000 miles. For the most part, I love this cycle. This weekend, my wife and I put on around 400 miles, mostly highway miles around 65-70 mph. Today, I noticed that the right side slip-on is beginning to turn yellow up front. First off, that makes me less than happy. I love chrome- not yellowed or blued chrome. What can I use to remove the coloring without damaging my mufflers? Also, yesterday, the bike smelled "hot" when we got home. I checked oil this morning and it is right up where it should be. I then took a run down to my dealer, as they were open today. I didn't notice the yellowing until I got home today- point of clarification. What causes this? Do others have that "hot" smell when you get done riding? I don't want to damage the bike, and I have never smelled a hot motor on my cycles before this. The bike sounds the same, except the Rush 2" seem to be getting louder than I wanted them to be. That springs another question-can I put the 1.75" in these to quiet it down? If I can, do I need a remap of my computer? Frustration reigns right now. I want my Harley to be louder than stock, but I want chrome mufflers that don't make my ears hum after riding for a day.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. sgt_1230

sgt_1230 Active Member

Unfortunately just in front of your right side muffler is a catalytic converter which gets very hot. Many owners of 2010/2011 touring bike owners have replaced their headpipes because of the catalytic converters and the heat issue. In regards to replacing the baffles; if you replace the internal baffle with a smaller one-it will be quieter.
    I put a 2 into 1 pipe on my 2010 limited and I am very happy with it, but a lot of people don't care for the look of missing 1 of the 2 mufflers.
    If you get rid of the cat in the headpipe, your passenger will notice a difference in heat for their right foot, but no one can guarantee that you will not have discoloring issues with replacement exhaust components.

3. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

You may hit the magic number of miles for pipes to yellow. With the 2008 and up bikes running lean this is a normal occurrence. It happened on my 2008 at about 3000 miles. With baffles over 1.75 it is recommended to add a fueler to richen mixture up. TFI comes highly recommend. Replacing baffle to 1.75 or 1.50 is a relative easy task.
    Rush Mufflers - Motorcycle Mufflers - Slip On Mufflers - Motorcycle Exhaust