free website stats program Runs rough, runs rich, won't idle | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs rough, runs rich, won't idle

JDRedneck

Ok, here is what I got: '02 Dyna WG, stock as far as I know.
Supposedly running reasonable, then coming to stop light, started running rough, won't idle, black smoke out of pipes, black spark plugs.
1.Done so far: Diaphragm had a chunk out of the lip – replaced – no change.
2.Intake manifold o-rings chewed up a bit – replaced – no change.
3.Error code – 02 – MAP sensor – replaced – no change.
4.Took to dealership, had error code reset, seem to run ok, my opinion, it was idle to low.
5.Next morn, same problem as at beginning.
6.Dealership didn't say any problem with ignition module.
7.Changed spark plugs – no change.
8.Check coil – resistances ok – no change.
9.Someone hooked up LED lights – did terrible wiring in tail light – fixed – no change.

I think I have basically run out of options.
Anyone got a solution I haven't looked at yet?

Happy Trails.....

I think 02 as the year of munufacture would indicate carb and black smoke and plug fouling would tend to indicate an overly rich mixture i would be looking at jets and jet sizes if one of the jets had managed to work loose then it may account for this sort of problem
complete strip clean and refurb on the carb would be the first step for me replacing all the o rings and seals on the way
if it still gives problems after that i would replace carb with a mikuni hsr 42 life is too short to spend a summer trying to get a carb to work right when its worn out

Brian

I keep forgetting that most twin cams r fuel-injected. Yes it is a carbed model. I went through the carb & checked everything except whether the jets had been drilled. Tried a different carb, known to be good, no change.

Happy Trails.....

So you swapped carbs with a KNOW GOOD CARB and you still have the SAME problem which is the bike won't idle and you still see BLACK smoke (rich mixture) out the pipes.

If it does the same with a known good carb then the only thing that could cause that would be not enough air for the fuel being supplied so some form of restriction in the air supply to the carb
without seeing it i wouldnt be able to tell whether its the air box or the filter

Brian

Might be an intermittent spark, but the coil is good, new plugs & I thought that being electronic, the ignition module either worked or it didn't.

Happy Trails.....

Back