free website stats program runs rough off idle | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

runs rough off idle

took seat off to get at conn.
took conn. 145 apart looked real clean,
cleaned it and greased,
cleaned system relay and greased,
never had a miss,
cleared codes,
went for a ride about 10 miles,
engine light came on and bike shut off,
would not start,just crank,
no fuel pump energize when turn key on,
took relay out looks clean,
checked fuel pump fuse good,
now have three codes p0261 p0263 p1003,
p1003 system relay contacts open,
started after about ten minutes rode home,
think it needs a relay

That is the reason I asked if the engine missed at all since that same system relay also powers the coil pack. I am surprised you have not seen the P1003 stacked with the two injector codes.

When you look at the entire picture which is:
1) 2 injector codes with no P1003 code. (until now)
2) Engine does not miss a stroke when the 2 injector codes post. If it was the relay, I would think you would have posted a P1003 sooner than now and you would would have experienced the coil pack turning off. But who knows(?)

But for $15 you can go wrong giving it a try. Give it a shot,,hopefully that clears up your problem.
If not we can just pick up from this point. Remember that the ECM does not know the difference between the relay not being picked electrically and the relay being picked but the contacts not closing. It will post the same code for both conditions..

fixed my problem so far,
switched the two relays,
then did not get any codes,
but starter sometimes would not crank,
so problem had to be relay,
so got new relay,
no codes and starts,
two days no problems so far
thanks for all the help

Great feedback & information to know. I am surprised the ECM diagnostics did not grab a P1003 on the first go around,, and also very surprised to find a bad relay on a 2009 bike. Those things usually live long lives., Tks.

Back