free website stats program Runs rough cold, random hesitation..choke does not improve (if it aint' broke - dont fix it!) | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs rough cold, random hesitation..choke does not improve (if it aint' broke - dont fix it!)

I put a K&N filter in mine, noticed a difference right away.

They do breathe much better than a stock filter.

In fact, so much better that I started to run 10 degress warmer, with more popping.
Had to put the stocker back in, I now have to buy a TFI..

Well, its what I telling the wife :)

Thanks for your feedback, interesting, yes I don't want to get into re-jetting to counter the backfiring by going with k&n. After checking out the Mikuni full chome air cleaner that came with the easy kit I noticed that it has two large holes on the bottom, vs stock (solid). I put it on as it should increase airflow somewhat.

Glad to hear that your all sorted now
i was very pleased with my hsr 42 and managed to get hold of a mikuni air filter to go with it and has done me well for the year that it has been fitted
and if i get any carb problems with the other 2 bikes i think ill go with the mikuni it just seems to work so well
mine came with additional jets but the ones fitted seem to be just right
I'm sure the documentation that came with the carb said a high flow filter should be fitted
i tried the k&n but seemed to be a bit deeper than the stock filter and didn't fit right

Brian

Glad to hear that your all sorted now
i was very pleased with my hsr 42 and managed to get hold of a mikuni air filter to go with it and has done me well for the year that it has been fitted
and if i get any carb problems with the other 2 bikes i think ill go with the mikuni it just seems to work so well
mine came with additional jets but the ones fitted seem to be just right
I'm sure the documentation that came with the carb said a high flow filter should be fitted
i tried the k&n but seemed to be a bit deeper than the stock filter and didn't fit right

Brian

Thanks Brian, I appreciate the info., I have taken your advice thus far and all have been the absolute right way to go, so I will try and find a Mikuni air filter..J&P wants $80 for K&N anyhow so I might as well go with the best fit and a unit that was designed to work with the easy kit. Cheers. Cameron.

Got my mikuni filter and cover from ebay for £30 both were in eccelent condition just happend to find the right part at the right time and the whole setup works really well for me
just hope yours works as well for you

Brian

Got my mikuni filter and cover from ebay for £30 both were in eccelent condition just happend to find the right part at the right time and the whole setup works really well for me
just hope yours works as well for you

Brian

Call me whiny but the suction noise from the Mikuni air cleaner is hard to get used to vs stock due to it being so open at the bottom.. especially noticable on hard acceleration. I know, I am never happy.... I might put stock cleaner back on. I have plenty of decibels coming out the rear of the Supertrapp tailpipe, don't need anymore right beside me!

Using the stock air cleaner cover will restrict the air into the air box and you'll loose a lot of the extra oomph that you have just received and you may start running rich
the best approach is a filter system without the OEM air box most systems have the air filter open to the air with the cover over the top hiding it and protecting it from rain
the OEM air box has a very small air inlet that restricts to flow of air to the filter the mikuni kit you got has an open area at the bottom of the cover to overcome the restriction of the OEM air box

Brian

Back