free website stats program Runs rough cold, random hesitation..choke does not improve (if it aint' broke - dont fix it!) | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs rough cold, random hesitation..choke does not improve (if it aint' broke - dont fix it!)

It should be slightly below, approx. 1/8" the bowl gasket mating surface. An old trick from the automotive days working on Holley 4 BBL carburetors, it is not too critical of an adjustment.

I'm puzzled about these grains of sand you discovered. Are you sure you got them all out. I ripped my carb apart 3 times and when I took it to a shop they found the needle valve for the float pitted.

Make sure there are no vacumm leaks in the line going to the VOS and that its electrically connected.
To test the VOS connect a rubber hose to the VOS , hook up an ohm meter and slowly suck on the hose to create a vacumm. It wont take much and you should see the meter go to "0" ohms when the VOS kicks in.

Thanks for the excellent information guys!

At this point I am just trying to get the carb to stop overflowing. I am going by the clear tube method versus manual float height spec., I am sure that the height is WAY out of spec. I am ready to trash this carb and maybe swap out for an S&S shorty E if I can't fix.. the plastic fuel inlet is now leaking, good grief.

Generally the overflowing is from a faulty needle/seat unit or debris in that area that holds it open.

This is the brand new needle that the stealer replaced as a recall (even though it was not broken). The seat is clean and it is not an item that you can order, according to dealer, unless you buy the whole new upper carb body. I can get a good used s&s e for $350 and that includes re-jetting if required, plus considerable performance hop-up.

Save your money and fix the CV you have. If you need a seat let me know and I'll give you a link.

Also never "assume" the dealer did what they billed you for or done under warranty either.:s

Save your money and fix the CV you have. If you need a seat let me know and I'll give you a link.

Also never "assume" the dealer did what they billed you for or done under warranty either.:s

Glider, you talked me into it! I have not given up on this carb yet, I am determined to fix it. The fact that I just came back from a 1 hour ride and the bike ran great hot (with a machine screw to plug the drain tube mind you) is the motivating factor. If I was completely dead in the water it might be a different story, but I think it is worth some more attention.

it might be worth changing the float needle again as you may have a bad one now the rubber coating on the tip of the needle is easily damaged and can harden with age (just cos its newly fitted doesn't mean its a good one)
and the problems started after it was fitted id go back there again

the level in the float bowl should be below the top edge of the float bowl
approx 3/4 full

if you get frustrated enough to change the carb don't dismiss the mikuni hsr42as i found it works well for me and doesn't ice up the same in the early months of the year (its on the 92 softail) yet the 93 Sportster and 94 Dyna work OK with the standard CV a wee bit of icing on the Dyna

hope this helps

Brian

it might be worth changing the float needle again as you may have a bad one now the rubber coating on the tip of the needle is easily damaged and can harden with age (just cos its newly fitted doesn't mean its a good one)
and the problems started after it was fitted id go back there again

the level in the float bowl should be below the top edge of the float bowl
approx 3/4 full

if you get frustrated enough to change the carb don't dismiss the mikuni hsr42as i found it works well for me and doesn't ice up the same in the early months of the year (its on the 92 softail) yet the 93 Sportster and 94 Dyna work OK with the standard CV a wee bit of icing on the Dyna

hope this helps

Brian

Thanks Brian, that is an excellent observation and I will get another needle from a different dealer. I have adjusted the tang so that the level is right at the gasket mating surfaces so I am going to lower that slightly (as per your note) as well and see how it goes.

Pulled the carb apart and tweaked float height about 5 times today...I can get the float level to a point to where it is not overflowing but then the bike runs lean -- backfires and runs poorly...anything beyond that the carb is overflowing..no happy median. Go figure. Almost seems like this needle it too short for this model/year carb.

Back