free website stats program Runs rough and dies. | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs rough and dies.

ossian654

I've got a 2000 electra glide classic, stock, 88 CI. FI. At Random it will missfire go down to 1 cylinder. whether its cold or hot 75mph or 25mph. Also when slowing to stop and pull in clutch it will die. had it into the shop last fall and they had it 5-6 weeks and they couldn't figure it out!!!! so it has to be something really stupid!!! any suggestions would be great

I've got a 2000 electra glide classic, stock, 88 CI. FI. At Random it will missfire go down to 1 cylinder. whether its cold or hot 75mph or 25mph. Also when slowing to stop and pull in clutch it will die. had it into the shop last fall and they had it 5-6 weeks and they couldn't figure it out!!!! so it has to be something really stupid!!! any suggestions would be great

Carb or EFI? Any mods?

When you first fire it up, does it idle rough? Do you have to be riding for this to happen? Do you use the run/stop switch since it's FI? Do you gear down when stopping? If so, does it die as soon as you pull the clutch in and do you think it would keep running if you down shifted and let the clutch out? Or is it just dead by then? Need more info!

and

Welcome to the forum from the southwest desert.

I have read of similar problems here having to do with the fuel line inside of the tank having a small hole in it, not saying that's the problem, but it is something I would check. Good luck:D

To the OP.

You haven't answered an important question. Is the motor carbureted or fuel injected?

I think the OP is saying in the first line FI

"I've got a 2000 electra glide classic, stock, 88 CI. FI."

I think the OP is saying in the first line FI

"I've got a 2000 electra glide classic, stock, 88 CI. FI."

My bad, I missed that.

MM EFI, know to have issues. The OPs description of losing a cylinder and the random pattern of symptoms points to an electrical issue IMHO. The OP should check for codes.

if bike has been ridden and is warm it will sometimes run rough other times runs fine. when stopping if your down to 1st gear and pull in clutch it will die but if your still rolling dump the clutch and it fires right back up but won't idle right and die. My mech./ Tech. is lead Tech. at the local HD dealer had it for 5-6 weeks and replcaed a module or two but the problem still exists.

Back