free website stats program runs on only one cylinder when starting | Harley Davidson Forums

runs on only one cylinder when starting

NightTrainRider

I have a '06 Night Train. At the end of the riding season last year the problem started. When starting the bike, it will only run on the rear cylinder for a short period of time and then the front cylinder will fire. Usually only a couple of seconds. The length depends on how warm the engine is. When the engine is warm the length is shorter. After the front cylinder starts to fire the bike runs like it should. I have had no performance/reliability issues while riding. I have had it hooked up to a computer and there are no codes coming up while starting the bike. I tried a different coil and that didnt work. I pulled the front plug out and started the bike. It had spark. There is a mist coming out the exhaust and smells of gas so I am thinking there isnt a fuel issue. Everyone I talk with is puzzled. Any ideas?

I have a '06 Night Train. At the end of the riding season last year the problem started. When starting the bike, it will only run on the rear cylinder for a short period of time and then the front cylinder will fire. Usually only a couple of seconds. The length depends on how warm the engine is. When the engine is warm the length is shorter. After the front cylinder starts to fire the bike runs like it should. I have had no performance/reliability issues while riding. I have had it hooked up to a computer and there are no codes coming up while starting the bike. I tried a different coil and that didnt work. I pulled the front plug out and started the bike. It had spark. There is a mist coming out the exhaust and smells of gas so I am thinking there isnt a fuel issue. Everyone I talk with is puzzled. Any ideas?

If you have a Power Commander(or other) take it out of the equation.

Since you did swap coils I would verify the fuel pump pressure to be sure it was up there. Injector in front cylinder may also be lazy and not fully atomizing. None atomized fuel is hard to ignite so you can smell fuel which will make you think all is well... Warming up will always help with those 2 reasons for miss-fire.

MY GUESS..... YOU have a BAD spark-plug..... TRY reversing or jUST put in a new one..

some times UNDER COMPRESSION a spark-plug will not FIRE. IT just WON"T

JUST MY GUESS

signed....BUBBIE

Sounds same as a carbed bike that flooded a cylinder, takes a while to clean out and fire, with injectors, whoops Hoople beat me to it. lazy, bad atomization in front cyl.

Welcome to the forum NightTrain, in 06 harley was having some injector problems that could cause cold start issues. You can have a look at your injector if you can't find anything else, I would think it would be throwing a no combustion code if it wasn't firing.

Here's the bulletin that came out in 06, read it and see what you think?
Harley Davidson Community

I believe '06' was the year of the bad injectors(cold start problems). Harley had a recall and replaced the 8degree(3 holes) with the 25degree(6 hole) injectors.

Back