free website stats program Runs Great Cold;Stutters/Hesitates When Warm | Harley Davidson Forums

Runs Great Cold;Stutters/Hesitates When Warm

RibEye

03 RKC runs great when cold, and stutters/hesitates/coughs when warmed up. Not consistent. Sometimes runs great for 2-3 days.

Always starts on 1st spin. Symptoms do not seem the same as when there was a hole in the inside-tank fuel line. A tank with Sea Foam, and new plugs, no change. Exhaust tight against jugs (no leaks I think).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich P

As always, what is the whole story about the bike?
How long have you owned it, how many miles on it?
What mod's done that you know of?
Were the problems there before the mods if you did the mods?
Any other issues that coincide with the problems your having?

Just to move this along a little, there was someone here that had problems like your having. Turned out to be bad insulation on the wires that lead into the injectors. However, if that is not it, and probably won't be (murphys law) please answer as much of the above five questions as possible.
:D

Ultra Good is steering you in the right direction. Its all about the details. Could electrical could be fuel. What did you work on before this happened? What part of the throttle does it stumble, etc. I'll take a wild guess and say, Intake manifold gasket leak. Although I would think it would be consistently leaking. The fact that its inconsistent makes me think electrical. Let us know more info.

Bodeen

03 RKC runs great when cold, and stutters/hesitates/coughs when warmed up. Not consistent. Sometimes runs great for 2-3 days.

Always starts on 1st spin. Symptoms do not seem the same as when there was a hole in the inside-tank fuel line. A tank with Sea Foam, and new plugs, no change. Exhaust tight against jugs (no leaks I think).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rich P

Sounds like a rich condition, for whatever reason.
Scott

How long have you owned it, how many miles on it?

Its an '03, 20K miles, had it year and half.

What mod's done that you know of?

TFI, Stage 1

Were the problems there before the mods if you did the mods?

No mods cause issue, just developed

Any other issues that coincide with the problems your having?

Issues fully listed.

Enjoy,
Rich P

First thing I would try is to unplug the TFI and plug it all back in as factory and see what happens? That may tell you if its the TFI. I would check injector wiring over real good too. See what happens.

Bodeen

First thing I would try is to unplug the TFI and plug it all back in as factory and see what happens? That may tell you if its the TFI. I would check injector wiring over real good too. See what happens.

Bodeen

All you need to do on the TFI is Un-do its Ground wire. All will work as the stock set up but the TFI will be OFF. It is one of the easiest ones to trouble-shoot.. If it doesn't do the problem with TFI out of the picture, go to dobecks Products Support here on site and ask to get an answer.

signed....BUBBIE

are the plugs stock??? if not, put in some stock plugs and see if that helps. I did that for a friend and fixed his hesitation/stumble on 08 ultra

I agree with intake leak. Can very from day to day. Depends on temperture, riding time before trouble starts, many things.

I can be something else but that's my guess with little information.

Back