free website stats program running rich /poor fuel milage | Harley Davidson Forums

running rich /poor fuel milage

dyna kid

Hi everyone I have a few questions I have a 08 Dyna SE with a hypercharger Vane&Hines Bigshots and the V&H fuel pak now I have black smoke and flames comming out the pipes and my mpg is only 20 but with the hypercharger & fuel pak the mpg was 35 to 40 is their anything I can do to to get rid of the smoke and flames & possibly increase my mpg ????

Hi everyone I have a few questions I have a 08 Dyna SE with a hypercharger Vane&Hines Bigshots and the V&H fuel pak now I have black smoke and flames comming out the pipes and my mpg is only 20 but with the hypercharger & fuel pak the mpg was 35 to 40 is their anything I can do to to get rid of the smoke and flames & possibly increase my mpg ????

Hmmm. I am kinda confused. Are you saying above that WITHOUT the hypercharger and fuel pak your mpg was 35-40?

If so, I suspect that the fuel pak is NOT set correctly, or as Smitty said above, the unit itself may be defective. Start over on the installation process of both the hypercharger and Fuel Pak and make sure everything is installed and setup per the instructions. I assume the instructions also describe how to "tweak" the Fuel Pak. If not, call them and talk to their tech service people.

TQ

with the hypercharger and fuel pak only I was getting 35 to 40 mpg then added exhaust and the mpg dropped to 20 I have called V&H asked for the correct FP# 1002 which is what is what I used I told the tech that the bike is smoking and shoots flames smells very rich all he said to do is drop the # 23 down from 16 to 15 and nothing has seemed to change

with the hypercharger and fuel pak only I was getting 35 to 40 mpg then added exhaust and the mpg dropped to 20 I have called V&H asked for the correct FP# 1002 which is what is what I used I told the tech that the bike is smoking and shoots flames smells very rich all he said to do is drop the # 23 down from 16 to 15 and nothing has seemed to change

If you are shooting flames out the exhaust, an awful lot of fuel isn't burning, this happened to me when my positive battery termanal was loose, and my front cylinder was only firing intermittantly. Try while it's running, jumping a piece of wire from the + on the battery to the primary pole on the coil, and see if it smooths out.

I think that is just coincidental. If you still have your old cans, you could stick them on just to see what happens, but I would bet something is wrong on the fueling side.

I checked out the V&H website, and when you put in all your configuration, that is the map that you are currently running?

I watched the video on the installation (2007 Dyna), and although it would be a pain, you might remove the Fuelpak and run the bike without it to see how it is working. On that note, did you ever have a ECU map download from HD? If not, it will be very lean, so I wouldn't run around on the bike, just temporarily disconnect the Fuelpak and reconnect the ECU directly as a test of the Fuelpak. If you are back to running lean (and maybe VERY lean), that points to a problem in the Fuelpak that you can go back and discuss with the V&H techs.

TQ

Yikes! I get kind of antsy when I see "black smoke" and "flames coming out the exhaust" in the same sentence.
You have fuel delivery problems. Whatever you did last to the bike is where I would start to look. This is a serious problem alright, but probably not too hard to remedy.

Back