free website stats program running out of fuel | Harley Davidson Forums

running out of fuel

leedham

Okay. I admit it. Ran out of fuel today. Actually, the engine sputtered while I was in the fast lane and lost power. Was definitly a low fuel issue. I saw the low fuel light on. So I coasted over to the slow lane and rode nice and easy and it started up. I imagine the fuel that was left stopped sloshing around. So I make it about a mile to the gas station and fill up. NOW my question. Should I be concerned with the status of my fuel pump ? I assume it must run hot when not submerged in fuel. Or was the fuel that was still in the tank enough to keep it cool? 2002 Road King. Let me hear your thoughts. As always, super forum !!

As long as the pump isn't making any strange noises, I wouldn't worry too much about it. They will run a bit hotter when not cooled by the fuel.

I agree with Glider and Hoople, unless it starved for fuel and cavitated you sould not have a problem.

Just like Fuel Injected cars they all say do not run them low on fuel, well I can count on one hand the failures I have seen in 100,000 miles on cars and light trucks due to this, I say do not worry They are pretty stout:s

The pump will let you know if theres a problem. So ride till your hearts content....

Back