free website stats program Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit

Pilot

I'm new to riding my new to me 2007 XL883L. Hope to commute the 25 miles to work on it in good weather. Most mornings I'll be on the road before sun up so I'm thinking of adding the HD Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit to add needed rear lighting. Wondering if anybody has experience with this kit. Are the rear turn signals turned into running lights bright enough to make a difference? I'm guessing there is an intensity increase when they're used as brake and/or turn signals. Is it possible to convert over to a 2 filament bulb? Is there a better ( brighter) way to do it?

I'm also relocating the rear turn signals and adding saddle bags. (need a place for my lunch). HD or a third party make anything to fill the original mounting holes?

Really enjoy the forum. For 90% of my questions I can get answers without typing a line. Great bunch of people with a wealth of information.

Thanks - Pilot

I added a kit to my 96 883. The turn signals are brighter especially if you add led bulbs. Just a quick note don't go to dealer for the bulbs find a truck stop or a trailer store and the will sell them for half the price. The turn signals also blink 3 times on mine and then stay on so it really helps out. I have a picture of my sportster on the introduce yourself at the top of the forum. It is under hey or busfreak. As for the saddle bags get a back pack if you just want it for your lunch or get some cheap throw over bags.

I think the brake,run,turn is the way to go.
I checked into changing to a two socket base, but you still need to run wires to the other lights, it started to look like the way to go, then I found the kit.
And it was going to cost more to change the sockets than the kit, and not have all the functions as the kit.:newsmile016:

I installed the HD Run/Turn/Brake conversion on my wifes 09 Sportster. The running lights are VERY bright and increase in intensity some for turn and brake. The difference isn't alot but it is noticable. Haven't had any problems and the install was easy...

I have a another post going in the Dyna section about turn signal relocation, good stuff there, most of which can translate to the Sportster as well. Anyway, for relocation, best ones I have found are easy brackets, do a search or check out the Dyna forum and you will find a link to them, they a bracket for most of the bikes.

Thanks everyone for the help. I now have the easy bracket kit and have ordered the run/brake/turn module along with a service manual, electrical manual and parts manual from my local HD dealer. The Easy Bracket instructions and video are not much help in removing the turn signals. I went to remove one by first removing the 1/2" nut inside the fender. That gave the turn signal a slight amount of play but didn't allow for it's removal. There also seems to be a pin along with two metal tabs on the fender inside but I don't see a way that they release the signal. Any suggestions until the manuals come in in about 2 weeks? Also what size are the star socket bolts that hold on the side rails? They'll have to come off to install the saddle bag brackets.

Thanks! Pilot

I have a loose rear turn signal, and if anyone can answer Pilots question it might help me. I can turn the half inch nut under the fender and loosen the tail light, but it is impossible to tighten it. Is there a locking nut under the chrome rails or is it under the bolt fairing that covers the bolt?

I have a loose rear turn signal, and if anyone can answer Pilots question it might help me. I can turn the half inch nut under the fender and loosen the tail light, but it is impossible to tighten it. Is there a locking nut under the chrome rails or is it under the bolt fairing that covers the bolt?

im a wee bit confused here but the turn sinal is attatched to the frame covers so you have to take them off
the tail light should be attatced to the rear fender only

Brian

Had the same problem with the loose turn signal. You have to turn the screw just far enough into the turn signal while leaving enough threads for the nut to catch and snug everything up. It's a fine line and took a few attempts to get it right....

Back