free website stats program Running hot | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Running hot

AJ,
Your thread had my curiosity up as to what my oil temperature was. Some my not agree, but 295 degrees is too Hot in my opinion. Too hot for my liking. I wanted to see what the temp was on my 09 Dyna. I can tell you that if your oil temp is that hot, your cylinder temp must be screaming at idle with no air movement. My Cylinder temp runs near 178 degrees moving and 300 sitting at idle standing still.

As far as my oil temp goes, I cross checked it with two different lab thermometers. One was an immersible thermopile probe and the other a mercury immersible 15" probe. Outside temp was 85 degrees. Ran the bike on the interstate, then let it idle for a solid 5 minutes standing still. Killed engine and immediately checked the temp of the oil and found it to be 221 & 219 degrees.
This bike is completely stock with the exception of ECM remapping. I am running Open Loop and have defined the air/fuel ratio's I wanted, none of which are greater than 13.4:1. I am getting 30 City MPG which I don't know is Good or Bad but I don't care because the bike runs great.

You did not say if your running the stock map in your bike. Before I re-mapped the fuel, you could feel, smell and hear the engine cooking under your legs. It was crazy. Unfortunately, I never checked the oil temp in that state.

Hoople

Last edited:
Back