free website stats program Running hot | Harley Davidson Forums

Running hot

ajjacobs

So recently I got an oil temp gauge (digital) and it seems I am running hot. Got stuck in traffic after 100 miles and the gauge read 295. When I got home I changed the oil (Mobil 1 V-Twin) and it helped but I still see 265-270 if stuck in traffic after a cruise. This seems high and I wanted opinions. I bought the bike used with "stuff" already done to it. Bike is an '07 Street Bob with LSR 2 into 1 exhaust, stage 1 intake kit, and a stage 1 download. So, any Ideas? I can/will get an oil cooler but wanted to correct this issue first (if it even needs correcting). Thanks all.

AJ

Not a madder of right or wrong any numbers someone wants to pick can be right or wrong.
What it comes down to is a big waste of time. And worry over nothing.
Big Vtwin air cooled engines throw a lot of heat.
They are made to deal with it and do very well I have never seen a HD or other air cooled engine melt down.
I have in the past and still do ride my HDs in all kinds of weather, sit in long lines of bikes at events like the 105th and other rides I do.
And the bike does not care one bit.
I do support the use of Good syn engine oil and tranmission lube as they stand up to heat better than other oils and lube. Cheap peace of mind.
So I sleep better I do change my oil after an extreme event such as 4 days of the 105th, even though I beleave there really is no need to.
I know many people that have racked up a lot of miles in extreme temps on HDs, I do not know of any that melted down.
This is just another of those things that seem to have a life of its own and gets riders all woked up.

Fair enough Smitty. I've not been too concerned about it but often wonder (bad thing, I know) why similar engines run at such varying temps? Thanks man!

AJ

you can't gauge your temps when "stuck in traffic" and say your running hot. Sitting at a light or not moving your bike is just going to get hotter and hotter while running.
Also you can only gauge your engine head temp somewhat by your oil temp. once you get moving your engine is going to cool down a lot faster that your oil.

So Smitty are you saying that you need not to istall a TFI? I thought running lean will cause it to heat up.

The TFI will help on any bike stock or not. You get more out of it if you have exhaust and intake.

I'm with smitty put it back in the box and don't worry about it. If the oil temp was important than HD would have put a temp gauge on the bike. Put the bike in the wind and have fun it will run cooler.

I'm with smitty put it back in the box and don't worry about it. If the oil temp was important than HD would have put a temp gauge on the bike. Put the bike in the wind and have fun it will run cooler.

Oil temp is important. The reason HD does not put one on is so you can go give them another Hundred Dollars. I do agree too much worry is put on this issue, but to say oil temp is not important is incorrect. Use of the TFI, pipes and AC (stage one) all helps a bunch to cool off your ride and extend its engine life.:s

Back