Running hot

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by ajjacobs, Sep 2, 2009.

1. ajjacobs

ajjacobs Active Member

So recently I got an oil temp gauge (digital) and it seems I am running hot. Got stuck in traffic after 100 miles and the gauge read 295. When I got home I changed the oil (Mobil 1 V-Twin) and it helped but I still see 265-270 if stuck in traffic after a cruise. This seems high and I wanted opinions. I bought the bike used with "stuff" already done to it. Bike is an '07 Street Bob with LSR 2 into 1 exhaust, stage 1 intake kit, and a stage 1 download. So, any Ideas? I can/will get an oil cooler but wanted to correct this issue first (if it even needs correcting). Thanks all.

AJ

2. ajjacobs

ajjacobs Active Member

220-230ish when moving, or 250-60 stuck in traffic. Am I wrong?

AJ

3. ajjacobs

ajjacobs Active Member

The numbers come from this forum and others I ride with that have 96"rs (stock) with similar gauges. If I am wrong then I am wrong, just let me know. Thanks.

AJ

4. ajjacobs

ajjacobs Active Member

Swapped gauges with a buddy and got the same temps.

AJ

5. ajjacobs

ajjacobs Active Member

Fair enough Smitty. I've not been too concerned about it but often wonder (bad thing, I know) why similar engines run at such varying temps? Thanks man!

AJ

6. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

you can't gauge your temps when "stuck in traffic" and say your running hot. Sitting at a light or not moving your bike is just going to get hotter and hotter while running.
    Also you can only gauge your engine head temp somewhat by your oil temp. once you get moving your engine is going to cool down a lot faster that your oil.

7. PaPa T

PaPa T Active Member

So Smitty are you saying that you need not to istall a TFI? I thought running lean will cause it to heat up.

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

The TFI will help on any bike stock or not. You get more out of it if you have exhaust and intake.

9. vtbikers

vtbikers Active Member

I'm with smitty put it back in the box and don't worry about it. If the oil temp was important than HD would have put a temp gauge on the bike. Put the bike in the wind and have fun it will run cooler.

10. walleye

walleye Junior Member Contributor

Oil temp is important. The reason HD does not put one on is so you can go give them another Hundred Dollars. I do agree too much worry is put on this issue, but to say oil temp is not important is incorrect. Use of the TFI, pipes and AC (stage one) all helps a bunch to cool off your ride and extend its engine life.:s