free website stats program Running badly when fuel gets below 1/3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Running badly when fuel gets below 1/3

frostbyte

Heres a wierd one for you... 2002 roadking.. fuel injected... runs strong when fuel level is above a 1/3 of a tank... when it get below a 1/3 shes running rough and backfires through the air breather.. is it possible there is a problem with the internal tank line {maybe a hole and it suckin a bit of air}

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Cheers........

Hey thanks Glider.... I will verify it by doing the fuel pump fuse removal test...I will let you know what I find later this week....

Cheers..........

i had the same experience with my 02 heritage classic,thats what was wrong with mine,after it got down half way down ...fill it up and it ran fine

Frostbyte,

I have an '03 FLHTCUI. Have had that problem twice in the last 3 years. I would bet that the cheap convoluted plastic tubing HD uses inside the tank have worn pin-holes rubbing against the frame profile. I had to change mine about three years ago and went back in with the whole deal that you have to buy from the Stealer. Less than 2 years later, same problem. This time I went to HiLo and bought a few feet of high pressure fuel injector hose. Heavy duty and reinforced. Definitely over-kill, but I hate having to pull the pump and float assembly out of the tank. Remember, the pump and float hinge so you can wallow them out of the tank. Still a nightmare! Don't think I will have that problem again!!

TQ

Last edited:
Good call Glider!!! tore it apart tonite.. and sure as (edit) 2 small holes in the feed line downstream of the fuel filter where it was rubbing on the inside of the tank.... hopefully the new line is shorter to prevent rubbing... will look into it tommorow...
thanks again for all that help with problem...
You guys ROCK!!!!
cheers.........................

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you found the problem. It can be a pain sometimes to pinpoint the problems on these bikes.

I believe the replacement is a bit shorter.

You can hear that problem by opening the gas cap and turing on the key.You'll hear the fuel squirting from the line.Verify with the pressure test and don't smoke while doing this.You'd be amazed at what I've seen.

THanks again guys...Removed line in question found 3 holes...
and yes the new kit is shorter by 3 inches to prevent rubbing on the side of the tank..ps changed filter while i was in there ... also discovered my tank is off a 2005 roadking and my bike is 2002 roadking... I guess the old tank was replaced during a paint and extention body job 2 years ago pryer to me owning it...

Back