free website stats program running bad | Harley Davidson Forums

running bad

shelbyman

I have an old 1984 FHLX. It seam to run as if it is flooding out or Missing It pops from time to time. When I stop It smells like gas bad. It has a carb. Not sure whats up. Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have decent wrenching abilities, I'd say pull the carb, give it a good cleaning and put it back together, see what that does for you. Otherwise I'd say find a wrench you think you can trust and see what they say.

If you have decent wrenching abilities, I'd say pull the carb, give it a good cleaning and put it back together, see what that does for you. Otherwise I'd say find a wrench you think you can trust and see what they say.

What carb do you have on the engine?

TQ

I dont know what carb I have. I asked a harley dealer and told him that it pops off and on. He didnt even look at the bike or listen to it , but said I needed a new head gasket for around 150. I wasn't to sure he knew what he was talking about so I came here. I thought I might get a second opinion at another dealership. What do you think. Thanks for your help

I dont know what carb I have. I asked a harley dealer and told him that it pops off and on. He didnt even look at the bike or listen to it , but said I needed a new head gasket for around 150. I wasn't to sure he knew what he was talking about so I came here. I thought I might get a second opinion at another dealership. What do you think. Thanks for your help

Get a second opinion at another dealership is a way to go! Sound like the first dealership wants your "A Blank Check" :small3d031:

I know I would never return to a dealer that "knows" what needs to be done without even touching your bike! Absolutely absurd!

Can you post a pix of the carb so we can see if we recognize it? That will help us recommend some starting points.

HEAD GASKET?!!! Unbelievable!

TQ

That is like saying "it is your muffler bearings"

My thoughts IF no intake leak, the carb may need (like suggested) a good cleaning and RE set the float level.. IF it ran good before, there is NO reason it should not again...

Boy, some of the things said,,,,, I'm surprised he didn't say "they all do it":small3d031:

signed....BUBBIE

Back