free website stats program running bad | Harley Davidson Forums

running bad

greenmac

2001 carb softail. runs good cold. after it warms up it starts to run bad or maybe misfire. i already tried a new coil, crank sensor. rebuilt the carb. replaced the gas and petcock screen. checked the readings on the stator and regulater. all ok. changed the plugs. checked for intake leaks.

Solids in a 2001?

I was thinking maybe if it had solids lifters, valve lash was too tight. OP said runs good cold then misfires after heating up.

I had that happen to me on a metric. Bike had every symptom of electric or cab problem but turned out to be valve lash was to tight and valve was slightly off seat only when hot. It absolutely drove me crazy.
If all else fails my be something to check.(?)

it is all stock. is it possible that the ignition module would cause this?

Sure could. Don't know how accessible the module is while bike is running but you may try hitting it with some compressed air or better yet an upside down can of "duster in a can" (R134A in a can) to see if it toggles over back to running OK as it does when bike is cold. Easy test if you can get at the module while bike is running.,

Sure could. Don't know how accessible the module is while bike is running but you may try hitting it with some compressed air or better yet an upside down can of "duster in a can" (R134A in a can) to see if it toggles over back to running OK as it does when bike is cold. Easy test if you can get at the module while bike is running.,

Now THAT is a great tech tip! I'll have to remember this one...

No plagiarism here. I actually thought it was original because I have never seen that tip listed here either.

Just when I thought I was going to get another "Scales of Justice" point.
Your killing me Glider!:p

No plagiarism here. I actually thought it was original because I have never seen that tip listed here either.

Just when I thought I was going to get another "Scales of Justice" point.
Your killing me Glider!:p

Hoop

You are an asset to this forum with your knowledge. Together we should go into business . You do the work and I'll collect the $$$$:D

PS: :good:good:good LOL!

Back