free website stats program Run stop start switch replacement | Harley Davidson Forums

Run stop start switch replacement

Mickb7

Gday all hope someone can help. My run switch has broken and I am trying to to replace it but can not undo the housing is it a particular tool to undo the screws it looks like an allen key but none seem to fit properly. Hope someone can help cheers

Re: Run stop start swithc replacement

Gday all hope someone can help. My run switch has broken and I am trying to to replace it but can not undo the housing is it a particular tool to undo the screws it looks like an allen key but none seem to fit properly. Hope someone can help cheers

Metric or English???? One OR the other...:dknow

It has to be a snug fit OR they will strip the allen heads.

That is what I see...

signed....BUBBIE

I see you ride an 95 sportster.

That was my First harley I owned... I bought it used (one year old) as an 883 and built it to 1200 using wiseco 10.5 to 1 pistons. Using the 883 head BOOST more compression and low end torque was BIG...

As an 883, I had a few big bikes laugh at me saying things like Girly Bike...

An 883 is not a ,,,, well you know... THEN

After my Secret Build They Quit the laughing as I saw them Frown while I watched them from out of MY rear view Mirrors...:lero

Man, would that bike Move,,,, 0 to 80 as fast as I could shift the gears...:D

The 883 was a great flat track bike and I do believe that is where it's roots came from.

ALSO; Seeing you are NEW here Mickb7 welcome...

signed....BUBBIE

It should be an allen key that fits but you will need sae/imperial sized allen keys

Brian

Welcome, They are Torque bit type of screws, I think the one you need is a15. Hope this was of help,

This is all over the place. :D The handlebar switch housings are held on by TORX head screws. Size #25 and #27, one for the housing, one for the brake clamp. Torx bits are available at all tool outlets, and do not come in metric or sae, all the same. Spend a few extra dollars on a quality set.
Welcome to the forum

Last edited:

My 3 bikes all have the handlebar switch housings held on by 5/32 allen headed bolts 92 softail 93 sportster and 94 dyna softail and dyna are hdi models and the sportster is a dom model perhaps 95 was the first year they used torx bolts but i thought it may have been 96 when the redesign of switch housings came in

Brian

WELL,,,,,We will all learn here...:55:

Think of all the different information given this time AND when the OP reports back what he used, We'll KNOW for next time.:s

I had a 95 sport like said BUT I can't positively REMEMBER but do agree with fin...:newsmile073:

Time will tell as I don't have that bike any longer. Nor the books (memories)

signed....BUBBIE

:bigsmiley25::bigsmiley25: First post I read this morning, and neglected to notice year. My apologies, my '92 Dyna has sae hex allen heads also. I know better than to doubt Fin. :newsmile099:

I would also agree with Fin but found this on OEM parts list
SCREW, No. 10-32 X 1/2 socket rd.hd. (black) | 95 -All Models also
SCREW, #10-24 X 1/2 hex socket button hd. | 96 to * -All Models
Interesting, both were on the '95 XL 883 page. Maybe the originals had been changed thru the years or rounded out.
tourbox

Back